Improvements for VS 5 or 6 or even later - just ideas

• #30, by afrlmeSaturday, 24. January 2015, 14:13 10 years ago
    You can only create scripts that will work with the Visionaire data structure tables. There are loads of things you can do with those; providing you use your imagination. I go beyond what is possible with the engine a lot of the time & I don't need other lib files or anything. If you want to simulate a gravity system, then sure you can write a script / function for it...

Want to control your character with the keyboard? write a script for it! Want your player to jump on a certain key press? write a script for it! Want to create some basic AI for your NPC's? write a script for it! Want some basic collision (is in radius) detection? write a script for it! I'm sure you get the idea. Using a combination of the action parts, queries, action area, way system & Lua script I can pretty much create whatever I want... But again: Visionaire Studio is a game engine specifically designed for point & click adventure games. It was never intended to be used for other game genres, so if you want to make other game genres then you will have to be flexible in the way you approach things.

To be honest I have no idea why you are asking me this... The evaluation version is free. It's exactly the same as the full version, albeit minus the ability to build / compile your games into a playable .exe file. Even with the 10 scene limitation you should have enough to test out the engine for yourself & see what is, & is not possible.

Everything you need for Lua & the Visionaire Studio object model is available in the wiki. The scripting page (introduction to scripting in VS with Lua & the VS object model) is approx. 90% complete. The data structure page contains almost all available tables / fields of the vs object model, although some still need to be added & I've not finished adding the new example tooltips to it yet, but it's still very usable. The script index page features scripts myself & others have written. Most of the scripts are commented & come with tutorials. I've even provided .ved & resource files for some of them. The index also features my own hand typed vs player functions / commands & various workflow scripts, that I have provided for free. There's also a beginners guide to Lua script that I have been writing. If you already know action script & the basics of a C language then Lua should not be an issue for you to learn, plus a lot of other game engines have support for Lua too.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #31, by brut69Saturday, 24. January 2015, 16:22 10 years ago
    My addition would be to be able to change the way the games are encrypted and make them more secure since there are a quite a few decrypters out there. Other than that I am quite happy with the dev tool.
    Also I really like the idea of having multiple BG musics + the option of randomly/periodically turning it ON using a pause.

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #32, by afrlmeSaturday, 24. January 2015, 16:46 10 years ago
    My addition would be to be able to change the way the games are encrypted and make them more secure since there are a quite a few decrypters out there. Other than that I am quite happy with the dev tool.

It wouldn't matter if the devs added state of the art encryption such as that used by government agencies & what not. There is & will always be someone who can decrypt it, or even provide a tool for other people to decrypt it. In other words: it's a fruitless waste of time, that the devs could spend on improving the engine in ways that are useful to the actual development of your game.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #33, by unrealSaturday, 24. January 2015, 18:36 10 years ago
    Ideas ! shock

- Multi-touch gestures support for iPad
    - 4K resolution support (1920x1200 is actually the max)
    - Custom interface (ex : show/hide fonctions in "Action part" ; Dark color scheme ; Color of the background)
    - Menu in "Accordion" style (Especially for the "Action menu" !)
    - Bigger points and lines in the "Way system"
    - A crash reporter with the logs sending (maybe ?)
    - Vis to remember the last window size when opening (full-size window at each start on mac is boring)
    - Fullscreen App support (for OSX 10.9+)
    - XBox360 Controller support (Yeah, it sounds stupid for Point&Click but it open the possibilities. Still no support on 2,5$ billion Minecraft which is Microsoft also...)
    - Keyboard shortcuts layout... with shortcuts
    - Real-time player (modify the game while you play so you don't have to run the game each time you make modifications)
    - Sound FX engine (Real-time rendered FX like reverb/delay/compression/pitch/distortion/etc)
    - Video "in-scene" (video playback inside a scene with custom size etc)
    - Use the mouse-wheel to increase/decrease value number of the selected parameter (by 1, 10 or 100 defined in option menu)
    - "Turn before walk" animations ; "End/Start walking " animation
    - To-Do List section (with a "Checkable" case)
    - Overhaul iconography to navigate faster thru menus and options (and to look more awesome)
    - Help section that redirect on Wiki
    - Icon (PC/Mac) an cover of the game in "Game info" section (used when exporting the game)

66 Posts

• #34, by ke4Saturday, 24. January 2015, 19:00 10 years ago
    Actually i would have one more. There is everything in Visionaire sorted by ASC. Scenes, animations, conditions, items. That's not sometimes flexible, because i need to scroll everytime all the way down when i'm selecting an anmation or condition in actions parts. Mostly i'm working with the newest animations/conditions etc. I think it would be more convenient to sorted stuff DESC ( from the newest )

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #35, by fulviovSaturday, 24. January 2015, 21:52 10 years ago
    My addition would be to be able to change the way the games are encrypted and make them more secure since there are a quite a few decrypters out there.

There is literally a file extractor for everything, starting from games created with Unity3D, Unreal Engine, and even World of Warcraft.
    It is a battle that unfortunately you cannot win.
    You can, however, copyright your game, it is very cheap and will cover all media included in the .vis file.

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #36, by brut69Sunday, 25. January 2015, 15:17 10 years ago

It wouldn't matter if the devs added state of the art encryption such as that used by government agencies & what not. There is & will always be someone who can decrypt it, or even provide a tool for other people to decrypt it. In other words: it's a fruitless waste of time, that the devs could spend on improving the engine in ways that are useful to the actual development of your game.

I agree up to the part that there would be always a person that will provide the tool. What I am saying is that it doesn't really have to be straight so easy or atleast change something so that old tools won't work on recent V4+

Also another idea for an addition for V5 would be to have some sort of Networking access besides the current ones so we can not only open urls but also exchange info , online updating etc

Like creating an in-game browser or a game that could provide a pop-up or two

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #37, by afrlmeSunday, 25. January 2015, 15:35 10 years ago
    I believe David already changed the encryption from 3.7.1 to 4.x. I know that he did or was looking into a different encryption at the time, but saying that, it's still a massive waste of time. So they sort out the encryption & then what? Someone cracks it & then it's back to the drawing board & it has to be done all over again & again & again & again. ( 8 )

I believe the networking stuff you mentioned is technically possible to a degree already. I think David already implemented Lua socket which provides internet access for various things, so I see no reason why it couldn't be used to display information from a website / database or even send data to a data base etc. Don't ask me how it works though, as I currently don't have a clue.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #38, by ke4Sunday, 25. January 2015, 15:40 10 years ago
    All these stuff can be done with Lua socket i read something about it, it shouldn't be so hard.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #39, by brut69Sunday, 25. January 2015, 16:00 10 years ago
    Lua Sockets dont work when I tried them

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #40, by LebosteinSunday, 25. January 2015, 18:40 10 years ago
    My addition would be to be able to change the way the games are encrypted and make them more secure since there are a quite a few decrypters out there.

That is a waste of work I think. There will be sooner or later a decoder for all formats...

Key Killer

621 Posts