Improvements for VS 5 or 6 or even later - just ideas

• #40, by LebosteinSunday, 25. January 2015, 18:40 10 years ago
    My addition would be to be able to change the way the games are encrypted and make them more secure since there are a quite a few decrypters out there.

That is a waste of work I think. There will be sooner or later a decoder for all formats...

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #41, by BigStansTuesday, 27. January 2015, 00:49 10 years ago
    So much… ok wink

- Multi-touch gestures support-dev - for iPad
    Already in trunk (developer version; which means; next version). You can use it like an mouse hook.
    - 4K resolution support (1920x1200 is actually the max)
    not an good idea wink But with the next release, we support 4k movies like VP9. Retina means, that the picture looks sharp if you scale it up 3x times smile On The iPad, we make the max resolution.
    - Custom interface (ex : show/hide fonctions in "Action part" ; Dark color scheme ; Color of the background)
    Hm?
    - Menu in "Accordion" style (Especially for the "Action menu" !)
    Hm?
    - Bigger points and lines in the "Way system"
    Hm… I need my glasses too to see the points… 
    - A crash reporter with the logs sending (maybe ?)
    It gives an crash reporter for the editor…
    - Vis to remember the last window size when opening (full-size window at each start on mac is boring)
    I know that i changed something… 4.1 ? Or simply delete / overwrite your config.ini in the ~/Library/Application Support/YourcompanyName/YourGameName Directory
    - Fullscreen App support (for OSX 10.9+)
    exists with 4.1 (retina)
    - XBox360 Controller support (Yeah, it sounds stupid for Point&Click but it open the possibilities. Still no support on 2,5$ billion Minecraft which is Microsoft also...)
    We test a little bit with controllers…
    - Keyboard shortcuts layout... with shortcuts
    Like: Alt+F4? grin
    - Real-time player (modify the game while you play so you don't have to run the game each time you make modifications)
    Hm? You modify the game if you give the character an baseball bat? grin You mean an other thing? grin
    - Sound FX engine (Real-time rendered FX like reverb/delay/compression/pitch/distortion/etc)
    Very complicated… To make it cross platform roll
    - Video "in-scene" (video playback inside a scene with custom size etc)
    Full motion video smile It wasn't possible. All FMV games playing and movie and simply have an event on an mouse position.
    - Use the mouse-wheel to increase/decrease value number of the selected parameter (by 1, 10 or 100 defined in option menu)
    We did not know, what exactly someone want's to to with the mouse wheel. We're developeing an engine. So, your part to do that. But don't worry. It's very easy.
    - "Turn before walk" animations ; "End/Start walking " animation
    Hm?
    - To-Do List section (with a "Checkable" case)
    Hm?
    - Overhaul iconography to navigate faster thru menus and options (and to look more awesome)
    The other dev's looks awesome too smile (joke)
    - Help section that redirect on Wiki
    Cool and nice idea! smile
    - Icon (PC/Mac) an cover of the game in "Game info" section (used when exporting the game)
    An list was technically easier for us.

Lua Sockets dont work when I tried them.
    You tried it with:
    local http = require("socket.http")
    ?
    I am sure it works. With the current VS.

That is a waste of work I think. There will be sooner or later a decoder for all formats...
    We've a lot of decoders, which uses ffmpeg. But probably we support OGG & OPUS as audio, because ffmpeg have trouble with some formats on different platforms.
    And if you are making an game it was better to use free codecs. (like VP8 / VP9 for Movies and opus or ogg for audio)

Great Poster

361 Posts

• #42, by afrlmeTuesday, 27. January 2015, 02:07 10 years ago
    David you broke the thread... I think you forgot to close off the quote. grin

You seem a little confused by most of the suggestions you replied to there. I understood most of them, but some of them confused me a wee bit too.

menu in accordion style: I think they mean that the drop down menu list of action parts should have collapsible sections instead of being one massively long ass list. I'm not sure if they noticed but if they click the button next to the lists then it pops up a window containing a small list of action parts you tend to use most plus the rest of the action parts split into different sections / categories.

Keyboard shortcuts: I believe this is in regards to a list of shortcut keys for the editor, such as: hold shift when drawing polygons to snap to grid or f9 to run game etc.

Turn before walk & begin/end walk animations: This would be about adding animation sections to the character where rotation, begin & end walk animations could be defined, like how we can define walking, talking & idle animations etc. If animations no animations are added to those sections then the engine ignores rotations, begin / end walk animation.

Mouse wheel parameter control: I think this is in regards to controlling the values inside of number input boxes in the editor. Click number input box & then use mouse wheel to increase / decrease value by x amount (defined in editor options).

Real time player: I think by this is means that you should be able to edit the .ved while game is running & see changes in real time, like swift.

To do list: I was a bit confused by this one but I believe he means some kind of section in the project for adding notes & lists. Kind of like an internal wunderlist inside of the .ved.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #43, by brut69Tuesday, 27. January 2015, 14:12 10 years ago
    This may not be the place but is there an easier way to do a Score counter?
    I am doing it now with Lua already but if there was something already premade like an object that will show the variable realtime it will be nice
    If not then please include this also in the newer version

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #44, by brut69Tuesday, 27. January 2015, 14:25 10 years ago
    "local http = require("socket.http") ==> You have more info on that?

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #45, by afrlmeTuesday, 27. January 2015, 15:21 10 years ago
    This may not be the place but is there an easier way to do a Score counter?
    I am doing it now with Lua already but if there was something already premade like an object that will show the variable realtime it will be nice
    If not then please include this also in the newer version

You could use the display object text action part. It is used to display text on the screen indefinitely. You would use this in combination with a vs value & then include the value inside of the text with <v=value_name>, however I'm not sure if object text gets updated or not.

Alternatively you could create a loop which is triggered at begin of scene (using called by other actions & the jump to x action part), which contains something like display narration text (background) with the value example above & then with a short pause, then a pause action part which is 10 ms shorter than pause you set in the text. You would need to use the registerHookFunction for setting text position to keep text in a specific spot of the screen - even during scene scroll.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #46, by unrealTuesday, 27. January 2015, 19:25 10 years ago
    @AFRLme
    Thanks you, you understood all my ideas well. smile

BigStans
    4K resolution support
    Why it's not a good idea? cry Imagine all the details !

Custom interface
    By "Custom Interface", I meant to have the possibility to hide some fonctions in the Editor that we don't use, so the interface looks more "light".

66 Posts

• #47, by afrlmeTuesday, 27. January 2015, 19:44 10 years ago
    I believe he means it not a good idea because 2D games can be quite taxing to run compared to 3D games. Plus you will be severely limiting the amount of people who will be able to play your game.

My laptop's ok, but I have to run most commercial games at my laptop resolution or below (depending on the game). VS games will run ok on my 1080p monitor though, but I wouldn't like to try running games @ higher resolutions than that.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #48, by SimonSTuesday, 27. January 2015, 19:57 10 years ago
    There is nothing that stops you from setting 4k, just open the explorer and navigate to Game / WindowResolution and set that to 3840 × 2160, and you are done.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #49, by andiliddellTuesday, 27. January 2015, 20:54 10 years ago
    Hi guys, there's a couple of things that I believe would increase productivity hugely..

Firstly the work you guys have done so far on vs is awesome and should be congratulated. You have my gratitude and thanks for such a superb product.  

A back button:
    I'm often in the middle of assigning action parts and then need to move to a different part of the editor to check something. Having a back button to traverse back to the room, tab, object and action I was editing would be very helpful.

A filter option on room objects:
    I use a prefix for all room objects (_gfx,_item etc) would be great to filter by these to find items faster in complex rooms with many objects. Or even an option to colour code or toggle/hide objects from the list.

Copy paste multiple actions :
    It seems this is possible in certain places but not others. Being able to copy multiple actions at all times would be great.

A give items/set conditions page:
    It would hugely help testing if there was one page that allowed you to toggle every game condition in one place and a list of all items and whether a character has them at the start or not. This would save on writing long winded if else statements as start game scripts when testing. If this ui could be popped up within the player engine at runtime it would be awesome rather than the cumbersome text console.

Masking:
    Setting areas to mask characters would be great.

Sfx room objects:
    Being able to assign a Sfx to an area of a room and set a radial fall-off, to have positional sound.

Pause & step through animations in room view:
    It's great being able to press the play button on the room editor to play all animations but a pause and step forwatd/back button would be helpful too to line up complex animations with character interactions.

Keep up the great work guys. Can't wait to see what the next version brings.

Forum Fan

178 Posts

• #50, by afrlmeTuesday, 27. January 2015, 21:04 10 years ago
    Color coding & back button sound like interesting ideas (note the way I wrote color? I hate the British version of words containing the pointless "U"). grin

In regards to sound fx & positioning. Actually possible with a bit of scripting. I already wrote scripts for dynamic sound, but don't know if I want to share them on the wiki. I waste too much time writing & sharing stuff for free already. The basic gist of the script is to calculate position of character, position of object & then compare with a percentage based on current position of character over scene total width/height or based on position of character in the viewport.

P.S: here's a few things coming in the next build (the actual changelog is quite large):
    * Retina (HiDPI) bug fix
    * New option for interfaces (always display - even during cut-scenes)
    * New animation frame displacement tool (for offsetting / aligning up animation frames)
    * Character speed action part affects walk speed (again)
    * Gesture support (phones/tablets)
    * & much, much more...

Imperator

7278 Posts