Improvements for VS 5 or 6 or even later - just ideas

• #10, by afrlmeWednesday, 21. January 2015, 13:09 10 years ago
    Most of the bugs are wxwidget related. There's nothing much the devs can do about that until a new version of wxwidgets is released.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #11, by LebosteinWednesday, 21. January 2015, 13:15 10 years ago
    Yes, the editor is the problem...
    The player runs very, very smooth and fast in this version! It seems between V3 and V4 the player has a significant better performance. Congratulations. smile

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #12, by afrlmeWednesday, 21. January 2015, 13:45 10 years ago
    That's because they overhauled the engine to run cross-platform, by optimizing it for reduced memory usuage & faster loading, etc. They also updated the video/audio support & playback & replaced the Lua libs with LuaJIT which executes/reads scripts much faster at a fraction of the cost of memory.

In other words they spent a lot of the time optimizing the engine for 4.x, but unfortunately there's nothing much that can be done about the editor bugs themselves. The current version of wxwidgets is somewhat less buggy than the last version, as the last version was less stable & had lots of issues with the various buttons & sliders. It was almost impossible to set the font colors & the radial buttons kept resetting themselves, etc. This is why the devs want to try & move away from using wxwidget at some point in the future.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #13, by fulviovWednesday, 21. January 2015, 17:50 10 years ago
    What is really important for me is the ability to distribute my game to as many marketplaces as possible - so the ability to have the engine compatible with consoles would be amazing.
    There is a lot of Indie traction right now, and companies like Sony and Nintendo are helping small devs to get indie games on their platforms without investing too much.

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #14, by afrlmeWednesday, 21. January 2015, 17:54 10 years ago
    I believe the devs were looking into platform support for the xbox one with the Independent Developer Publishing Program. I've not heard any news in regards to this in a while though.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #15, by fulviovWednesday, 21. January 2015, 17:57 10 years ago
    I believe the devs were looking into platform support for the xbox one with the Independent Developer Publishing Program. I've not heard any news in regards to this in a while though.

Sony and Nintendo have similar programs.
    It is probably a lot of work, but personally I would be happy to pay extra for a licence that would allow me to distribute on these platforms.

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #16, by afrlmeWednesday, 21. January 2015, 18:04 10 years ago
    I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement support for consoles. The only thing I know is that it would require the devs to write code that transcribes the given data into a format that the intended device can understand. I imagine it's quite complicated & would take them quite a while to implement, even if they did decide to add additional platform support.

First things first though, they need to plug as many holes (bugs) as they can for the next public build of Visionaire Studio & finish implementing whatever new features will be shipped with it.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #17, by HasuakWednesday, 21. January 2015, 21:36 10 years ago
    Damn nice to see that progress is being made. Is there any approx date for the next public release? I've been working on my project's graphics and script but the current state of Visionaire just seems very sluggish for the things that I need. And I don't even need that many special things for it, if they could even be called special. Like Mehrdad said, turn before walk system is a MUST for an point and click game. So is better text handling. I've said this many times, but an engine that markets itself as user friendly shouldn't have so many things only able for those with knowledge in scripting.

Sorry if I sound so negative. I like the engine, but it just lacks many things that engines like AGS probably had already on their first release.

26 Posts

• #18, by marvelWednesday, 21. January 2015, 22:33 10 years ago
    "Turn before Walk" is a feature that even most successful adventure games (like Memoria, Whispered World) don't have. It's a nice little feature that I'd also like to add to my games - but the success of an adventure game has nothing to do with this single behavior. Story, Riddles, Atmosphere, Humor... this is what adventures are about. Turns, slow walking, etc can also be pretty annoying in an p&c adventure. Just my 5 cents.

But Yes... for sure we also work on a Turn option.

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #19, by HasuakThursday, 22. January 2015, 03:58 10 years ago
    ^

I agree with you on the points of story, riddles etc. but when I saw games that were made by Visionaire for the first time I was instantly let down by the stiff animation system. Characters not turning before moving, no acceleration or deceleration in their movement, just sheets of image sequences stiffly sliding in different directions on a background image. Those small but effective details are there for a reason, to give the characters and other objects a sense of depth and immersion, and blend them better with the backgrounds.

But, hey, it's nice that you guys are making it possible. The more options there are the better.

26 Posts

• #20, by MehrdadThursday, 22. January 2015, 07:05 10 years ago
    Marvel
    When I saw first game that made by Visionaire I noticed to this issue . Did you see 'The Black Mirror', 'The Dig', ..Did you have see any problem to slow move? .Actually Turn the character is huge help to make more atmospheric games. I'm 2D professional animator and I can't ignore this nice structure .
    Visionaire is the best Adventure game engine at the moment for all artists and you have to concern all of needs an animator. Unfortunately update of Visionaire is take very long time and that's why I don't still buy it .
    When did you add this structure?

39 Posts