Visionaire Studio Bugfix Update 5.0.5

• #50, by MachtnixWednesday, 06. June 2018, 00:58 6 years ago
    Yeah, if you want to make a Pixar movie you are right. I think, in Deponia or Edna there were only 2 up to 4, I remember. Because of my characters are very small it doesn't matter how good it fits. I rarely looks at the mouth while speaking...

I used some tools for character voice animation times ago (f.e. Magpie, but the registration fails...), but now I'm starting lazy...

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #51, by afrlmeWednesday, 06. June 2018, 01:23 6 years ago
    Yeah, if you want to make a Pixar movie you are right. I think, in Deponia or Edna there were only 2 up to 4, I remember. Because of my characters are very small it doesn't matter how good it fits. I rarely looks at the mouth while speaking...

I used some tools for character voice animation times ago (f.e. Magpie, but the registration fails...), but now I'm starting lazy...
    haha. aye.

Here's what you could do if you still only want to have a basic open & close mouth... generate the tsv files with Rhubarb. Edit the file with sublime text, atom or notepad++ or something similar & just replace all the instances that aren't X with A B A then replace all X with C, so you end up with something like this instead...

0.00    C
    0.03    A
    0.13    B
    0.27    A
    0.41    C

C being closed mouth shape. A being slightly open mouth. B being fully open mouth.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #52, by MachtnixWednesday, 06. June 2018, 03:12 6 years ago
    I haven't yet any tsv-files from Rhubarb, because I am too stupid to start it. I don't like command tools (that's why I don't like this Linux feature soo much...).

By the way: because my walking and idle animations from older versions don't work in Vis R5 (I don't know why - the editor freezes and I have to kill the programm ), I still works in 4.2.5. So the new features are reserved for a new project far away...

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #53, by darren-beckettWednesday, 06. June 2018, 10:33 6 years ago
    Hmm would it be possible for you to record a short video of the character talking?
    I've created a couple of videos: LINK showing the LipSync in action.
     - The 1st video is the new style using the TSV (Built into Visionaire)
     - The 2nd video shows my own lipsync

In the example shown in the videos, I think I prefer my original lipsync, due to it using more visemes.

Note: The only time mine will fail is if the speech isn't in a continuous flow, that's when the timing in the TSV would be the perfect solution

Also, The TSV solution is a lot more elegant and easier to setup for the users.
    My LipSync requires:
    - An action to be called after each frame of the talk animation
    - Tables containing translations of all Words/Phonemes/Visemes

Thanks for all your help

Great Poster

384 Posts

• #54, by daniel-wolfWednesday, 06. June 2018, 13:16 6 years ago
    Hi, I'm the author of Rhubarb Lip Sync. I just found this thread and thought I'd share a few random thoughts.

Regarding OGG files: I'm myself not a Visionaire user. So I cannot estimate how important OGG support is to you. What's the workflow in Visionaire Studio? Is it always OGG-based?

Regarding non-English dialog: This is absolutely something I'm planning to support. But it's a lot of work and I currently have very little free time. So I can't make any promises as to when multi-language support will be available. In the mean time, you can get decent results (though not great) by just omitting the --dialogFile option. Rhubarb will take a sound file containing German/Italian/... dialog and understand some gibberish English words that sound similar.

Regarding lip sync based on phoneme-viseme tables: This is where I myself started off two years ago. It turned out that convincing lip sync is much more complex. Depending on the word, we often anticipate certain sounds, forming them with the mouth while still speaking a previous sound. Or we hold a certain mouth shape even though we're not speaking the corresponding sound any more. Or in the case of plosives ("P", for example), we form the corresponding mouth shape (closed mouth) before the sound is heard, and open the mouth when the sound is heard. Rhubarb has a large set of rules to cover these cases, and I'm still a long way from finished.

10 Posts

• #55, by darren-beckettWednesday, 06. June 2018, 13:40 6 years ago
    You've done an awesome job with Rhubarb.

OGG has good compression and works great on Android.

Great Poster

384 Posts

• #56, by daniel-wolfWednesday, 06. June 2018, 14:08 6 years ago
    Thanks! :-)

Regarding OGG: I understand the benefits of OGG for finished games. I'd certainly never dream of publishing a game with uncompressed audio resources. During production, however, I prefer a lossless, uncompressed format like WAVE. Storage space usually isn't an issue during production, and a lossless format allows you to make unlimited edits without loss of quality.

On Thimbleweed Park, they managed all recordings as uncompressed WAVE files. Converting the audio format was only the last step, and was done automatically as part of the build process.

I'm completely new to Visionaire Studio. Reading between your lines, it seems that Visionaire Studio doesn't support this kind of conversion. So if you want OGG files in the finished game, you need to work with OGG files during production. And this means that it's a major inconvenience to you that Rhubarb only supports WAVE files. Did I get that right?

10 Posts

• #57, by sebastianWednesday, 06. June 2018, 14:33 6 years ago
    Hi Daniel smile 

yes, the files you use while developing the game will also be baked into the built game. So as a matter of performance most optimizing is done while developing.

If you have a bit knowledge it is possible to open the game project file  in a texteditor (as its basically an xml file) and replace all .wav strings to .ogg, but its not that convenient for most users. 

So using the compressed files in the first place would be much more "easy" for most of us. 
    Currently using Rhubarb would require to have two files (. wav for creating lipsync/. ogg for actual usage inside the engine) if you use other formats than. wav in your project. . 

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #58, by daniel-wolfWednesday, 06. June 2018, 14:57 6 years ago
    yes, the files you use while developing the game will also be baked into the built game. 
    Thanks for the explanation! It would certainly make things much easier for you if Rhubarb supported Ogg Vorbis. I just created an issue: https://github.com/DanielSWolf/rhubarb-lip-sync/issues/40

However, I cannot promise I'll have time to implement it any time soon. When I do, I'll make sure to update this thread.

10 Posts

• #59, by afrlmeWednesday, 06. June 2018, 15:57 6 years ago
    A'llo. wink

To be honest I think most of us work with wav or aiff to begin with as speech recordings are probably exported out in those formats, it's just that we directly work in Visionaire Studio with ogg/opus for audio, png/webp for images, mkv for videos, etc because it allows us to work on optimization & see how our games will run while we are working on them.

ogg vorbis isn't a requirement of the engine, we can technically import wav, aiff, ogg or mp3 files. ogg is just the recommended format because it's an open container format unlike mp3 & it's compressed unlike wav, aiff or flac.

In regards to what you mentioned about Thimbleweed Park converting at the end during the exporting/compiling process. We have some options like that, but unfortunately not for audio. Only for converting images to WebP, but the results for that aren't as reliable as converting yourself with XnConvert.

@darren-beckett: I think I actually prefer the tsv version more as it's less flappy. You can edit the tsv & insert additonal frames (mouth shapes) or time stamps if you want.

@machtnix: I keep forgetting that you are still using 4.2.5. I guess maybe you can use Sebastian's script, if he decides to share it. Or you could write a small script that returns a frame per character & idle mouth shape for anything other than a letter. I dunno.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #60, by MachtnixWednesday, 06. June 2018, 17:20 6 years ago
    It looks better the character moves arms or head while speaking, so I prefer loop animations including the whole body. That means exactly dubbing isn't possible. 
    In a 3D-programm like Maya or Cinema you could make jigsaw-animation: you can crossfade all movements without breaks, calls oneself "nonlinear animation". I think today all CG animations use this way.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts