Visionaire 5 released

• #120, by NigecTuesday, 17. July 2018, 12:57 6 years ago
    yes I'm getting this crash as well

My projects aren't big and the only difference seems to be the version the project was created in, an older VS 3.X one crashes for me were as a VS 5 one seems fine

edit maybe its not the version as two projects originally created with version 3.71 behave differently, one crashes, the other doesn't

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #121, by SimonSTuesday, 17. July 2018, 13:25 6 years ago
    This is currently a bug, if you're really in need, I can send you a fix for that via pm. It happens if you have an animation property frame with an action.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #122, by stered86Tuesday, 17. July 2018, 13:31 6 years ago
    I can wait for the next patch! I'm just relieved to know that the problem will be addressed.
    Thank you very much!

62 Posts

• #123, by NigecTuesday, 17. July 2018, 13:41 6 years ago
    I don't need it yet either smile
    But yes the animation propertiy is probably the difference between my projects

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #124, by barrakubraFriday, 27. July 2018, 21:06 6 years ago
    Hello everyone

This is my first time posting.
    I am really interested in Visionaire and have seen some amazing games created with it.

I currently have the test demo "Visionaire Editor V4.2.5" and I am impressed with the really intuitive interface. There is one issue though; every time I try to add a frame for a character's standing animation my whole computer freezes up. My whole computer basically grinds to a halt and most of the time I can't even access my task manager. On the rare occassion I can access it, the computer tells me I am using 100% of my hard disk. Eventually the program crashes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks & Kind Regards

--------------------------------

EDIT: After receiving assistance from Esmerelda and Nenad-Asanovic I have realised I had an older version. My problem doesn't occur with Version 5 VS

2 Posts

• #125, by nenad-asanovicFriday, 27. July 2018, 21:21 6 years ago
    I am using visionaire studio for few years now... Never had that issue with demo and after purchasing it as well all worked as charm... There are some minor bugs in current build but they don't stop me to update my game every 20 days or so. Everyone who pledge my game are extremly happy with game. I am also super happy with engine cause it is probably best for point and click adventures out there. It must be something with your pc I have to say... Visionaire engine as far as I know don't have any bigger issues (and I am developer of game so I should know).

59 Posts

• #126, by esmeraldaFriday, 27. July 2018, 21:56 6 years ago
    Hi barrakubra,

have you tried using the testversion of Visionaire 5? I think it's less resource-intensive. At least it runs on my old laptop whereas Vis 4.25 doesn't.

(Visionaire 4.25 Testversion is the test demo of Visionaire Studio 4)

Here is a link to the thread with the newest version

Key Killer

513 Posts

• #127, by barrakubraFriday, 27. July 2018, 22:24 6 years ago
    Thank you Esmerelda and Nenad-Asanovic for your help

I don't know how I managed to miss the testversion for version 5. I think I was a bit confused because the 4.2.5 download specifically says "testversion" whereas the version 5 download does not. I must have thought that the version 5 download was a link to purchasing the newest version.

I downloaded the latest demo and had no problems adding character animation frames. I guess that answers my question.

Also, the interface is even sleeker than the previous version! It looks great!

Many thanks again.

2 Posts

• #128, by MateuszWednesday, 05. September 2018, 19:19 6 years ago
    VS 5.06 Strange bug
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believed that "scene names"/"action names" are just help for developers, while VS engine relies only on unique ID's for each of them.  My scenes names look somehow aroud this lines:

----DIALOGUES---- (empty scene, never used, a visiual divider for me)
    LUCY
    FENG
    JEAN-PIERRE
    (and so on)
    ---QUESTS-------
    LUCY
    FENG
    JEAN-PIERRE
    (and so on)
    ---CLOSEUPS------
    LUCY
    FENG
    JEAN-PIERRE
    (and so on)

It worked as charm when total scenes <= 80. After adding 81 scene, any attempt to use "+run on scene" resulted in player starting on the first (topmost) scene with character name. Example: I'm trying to run CLOSUEPS/LUCY but player launches DIALOGUES/LUCY. Removing any scene so total count does not exceed 80 or renaming scenes ("Lucy (Closeup)" fixes the problem.

Not a deal breaker, but still decided to report as it's kinda weird smile 

59 Posts

• #129, by afrlmeWednesday, 05. September 2018, 19:59 6 years ago
    You should always use unique names for everything you name. The engine doesn't have a clue what you are trying to access; especially if you try to access something with Lua script & multiple objects of the same type with the same name exist.

If you have 2 scenes named "scene_1", & you tried to access it with...
    Scenes["scene_1"]
    then how is the engine supposed to know which one you wanted to access.

Use prefixes or unique names, then you are less likely to have any issues further down the line!

* edit: seems I misunderstood, you are talking about the run on scene button in the editor? I still highly recommend always using unique names/prefixes for everything, but maybe it's a memory issue? I don't have any ved with that many scenes to test with.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #130, by MateuszWednesday, 05. September 2018, 20:44 6 years ago
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I was talking about using run on scene option used for preview.
    I don't acess anything via scripts, just using actionparts and either browsing to destination [Browse link...] or  using drag and drop "lasso thingie" to chain things together. 

Definitely not a memory issue, as it's easily fixed by renaming scenes. As I mentioned, I believed that VS assigns unique ID (not a real "name" but rather a "table adress") to everything (conditions, values, scenes, and so on) and naming serves only as a guide for developer "(since "Rose received?" is more informative than F240 or whatever engine ID's look like).

Anyway, after discovering the problem I renamed scenes to Lucy(Dialogue), Lucy(Closeup), Lucy(Quests) and so on and it works just fine. I definitely start to use individual names from now on, just to avoid any similiar problems in future. Still it's kinda weird that "engine confusion" when using "run on scene" seems to be somehow linked to the amount of scenes in the project.

59 Posts