Anticipation of 4.0 - whats to come?

• #40, by marvelThursday, 27. March 2014, 11:51 10 years ago
    Actually it isn't just "'Experimental support'. Alex should not use this term wink Zak McKracken between time and space runs pretty much stable on my ipad here... and it is a version half a year old. But it is entitled as a beta, because we changed A LOT of things in Visionaire Studio - main structural things.

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #41, by UraalThursday, 27. March 2014, 20:36 10 years ago
    How badly will my active project break down after updating? smile will I need to rework some parts`?

93 Posts

• #42, by afrlmeThursday, 27. March 2014, 21:30 10 years ago
    There's always the possibility of having to rework certain things in your project when updating, but you can have both 3.7.1 installed & 4.0 at the same time - I have - if you like so just make a backup/copy of your .ved before opening in 4.0 as it will no longer be valid for 3.7.1 once you overwrite it in the new version.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #43, by HasuakFriday, 28. March 2014, 23:51 10 years ago
    I'm not sure if I posted a screenshot of the 3D model settings page a while ago or not... might be somewhere on the forum, but if not then, you've not too long to wait until you can see/try it for yourself - 4 days! wink

Can't see any screenshots and the wait is almost literally killing me. Just decided to reboot my old project and luckily modelled the characters so that they would also work in real-time 3D engine rather than in hi-quality renders. Can't wait to test out the lighting and shading settings. Could you elaborate what kind of shader settings there are and how the lighting works? Multiple light points, ambient lights etc?

26 Posts

• #44, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 01:43 10 years ago
    Honestly, I couldn't really tell you as I don't have much interest - or knowledge - in 3D related stuff, but I guess I'm going to have to learn if I hope to document it in the wiki. Maybe Alex, or his friend Daniel - who coded the 3D character model support - could elaborate on what's what.

Check attachments for a couple of screenshots; one of a zombie character I loaded into the outfit properties tab & one of the outfit properties tab. (there are more settings than that but I'm not plugged into my large monitor so that's all I can currently show you)

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #45, by DerBjoernSaturday, 29. March 2014, 02:14 10 years ago
    Nice , i can't wait to import my characters.
    There are pre installed animations or can we import our own animations and what kind of bones are used ?

13 Posts

• #46, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 02:23 10 years ago
    http://wiki.visionaire-tracker.net/wiki/3D_models

no, you have to import your own. .x format looked ok in the character preview screen but the other formats I imported looked like partially rendered gray/silver shapes & they would not let me select the available model animations via the little options button for the currently highlighted animation. I think you have to create the animations/bone related stuff in 3rd party applications, such as: blender, 3ds max, maya etc.

Check the link I provided above for a little bit more information on 3D models in vs.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #47, by HasuakSaturday, 29. March 2014, 04:46 10 years ago
    Aha, this looks promising. AO and projected shadows ahoy! By the way, what does the sliding walk animation mean?

26 Posts

• #48, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 13:37 10 years ago
    Aha, this looks promising. AO and projected shadows ahoy! By the way, what does the sliding walk animation mean?

I'm not sure if it affects the 3D model characters. It is for determining how the character should walk...

Slide = the character sort of slides between positions on screen between frames (similar to current walk system) whereas when it is not ticked the character position is updated on each frame, which allows you to create a more natural looking ground to contact walk by offsetting each frame. + as a bonus the no-sliding version does not seem to blur/vibrate like the current system/sliding option. Also quick note, the sliding option would be best used for vehicles or characters on some sort of vehicular transport, such as a motor bike, push bike etc.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #49, by NigecSaturday, 29. March 2014, 17:23 10 years ago
    oh dear... my day just got even worse... C4D might be a problem? super lol but I have R15 so you never know
    If it works I can see a tutorial season coming on smile

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #50, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 17:36 10 years ago
    oh dear... my day just got even worse... C4D might be a problem? super lol but I have R15 so you never know
    If it works I can see a tutorial season coming on smile

ooh tutorials smile

it says it supports various formats, but I don't know enough to test them. I just loaded in random (free) 3D models of different formats to see what would happen.

Imperator

7278 Posts