Anticipation of 4.0 - whats to come?

• #50, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 17:36 10 years ago
    oh dear... my day just got even worse... C4D might be a problem? super lol but I have R15 so you never know
    If it works I can see a tutorial season coming on smile

ooh tutorials smile

it says it supports various formats, but I don't know enough to test them. I just loaded in random (free) 3D models of different formats to see what would happen.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #51, by gustySaturday, 29. March 2014, 19:36 10 years ago
    AFRLme: Did you experiment with no-slide walking a little bit? Could you tell if there is any significant difference between 3.7.1's slide and 4.0's non-slide walking?

On 3D characters: Obviously I didn't have a chance to test 4.0 yet but I'm pretty sure I will stick with regular 2D stuff. But what I would love to have is really solid walking animation in matter of:

a) start walking (blend from standing position to walking)
    b) middle walking cycle - repeating - just as in 3.7.1 I guess
    c) stop animation (blend from walking to standing)

Do you think I could achieve this kind of setup in 4.0?

Forum Fan

159 Posts

• #52, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 21:46 10 years ago
    AFRLme: Did you experiment with no-slide walking a little bit? Could you tell if there is any significant difference between 3.7.1's slide and 4.0's non-slide walking?
    On 3D characters: Obviously I didn't have a chance to test 4.0 yet but I'm pretty sure I will stick with regular 2D stuff. But what I would love to have is really solid walking animation in matter of:
    a) start walking (blend from standing position to walking)
    b) middle walking cycle - repeating - just as in 3.7.1 I guess
    c) stop animation (blend from walking to standing)
    Do you think I could achieve this kind of setup in 4.0?

In 4.0: we have a lot more control over the speed/distance of the character as we can set the distance between each individual frame. by default it will set the distance equal between each frame.

With slide enabled the character will slide between current frame position to the next frame position inside of the current frames pause value. With slide disabled the character will jump to the next position at the end of the pause value; this allows us to create a more realistic walk animation as it does not slide or anything - also as I've mentioned already: the characters don't seem to vibrate while walking in non-slide mode as they do in 3.7.1. The vibration thing has been reduced though because characters now scale much smoother. non smooth scaling did not help the character vibration at all.

In theory you could create the start walk animation then add another walk animation to the walk section with the same direction - this will set the new animation to character animation index 1 or 2 - I forget, not sure if it starts at 0 or 1) - which you could at the end of the start animation: change the character animation index to whatever the main walk one is enabled on.

I think doing something along these lines you should be able to create start, walk, end, & rotation animations.

& yes I've been experimenting with both options, (for 2d) as I've been trying to figure out how to get a perfect - or near perfect - walk animation.

* I've not tested 3D characters on a scene yet.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #53, by afrlmeSaturday, 29. March 2014, 22:36 10 years ago
    here's a little taster of the updated 2d walk system. I've added a little annotation to the screenshot too. right click & view image for full size.

*edit: forgot to mention that you can preview the character walking across the line when footstep icon is enabled. (very useful, as you can get an idea on what it will look like without having to run your game)

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #54, by SuroSunday, 30. March 2014, 11:50 10 years ago
    What sorcery is this!?
    VERY cool walking additions grin

36 Posts

• #55, by afrlmeSunday, 30. March 2014, 12:59 10 years ago
    What sorcery is this!?
    VERY cool walking additions grin

No Idea razz Ask SimonS &/or Alex. grin

By the way, you can't actually view multiple frames at a time - only the currently selected frame & the half transparent onion frame. I erased part of the image in photoshop so I could show 2 different positions in the same screenshot - you probably already knew that though!? wink

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #56, by SuroMonday, 31. March 2014, 11:23 10 years ago
    Yeah I assumed it was to clearify the onion skin better grin

36 Posts