Improvements for VS 5 or 6 or even later - just ideas

• #80, by marvelSunday, 16. August 2015, 14:24 9 years ago
    I've made a graphical concept for the new interface some months ago, that will allow a much quicker and more effective workflow. Simon's work bases on this concept and we will consider ideas like a quick file and folder control. We've had a skype session just yesterday about it. wink The new editor is developing very well.

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #81, by ke4Sunday, 16. August 2015, 14:29 9 years ago
    Colors! smile

There is one tip, it's just a way how to spare one click.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #82, by Simon_ASASunday, 16. August 2015, 14:55 9 years ago
    It looks great, and thank you very much for showing your progress. I like the idea to have the main view in the center like in After Effects and other softs, with the other windows around. The addition of colors are welcome too, particularly in the action parts with the if/else lists.

Just an idea (and it's just an idea): it would be interesting to have the possibility to write directly the action parts (I mean typing them with the keyboard) and then a list would appear to show us the actions available ==> like in the console! I think I would save time if I could just write the action parts myself instead of looking for them in a list. There are other programs that allow to do that. Isn't there such a feature in Flash? I don't remember. But maybe it is very complicated to implement.

Talking of action parts, this is another possibility: there is something I like in 3dsmax, it's the possibility to have buttons on the right that I can edit at will.
    http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/atII62rRCI8/maxresdefault.jpg
    If you look at the Object Type category on the very right (Box, Cone, Sphere...), it is very easy to use and quite clear for the user. I was wondering if it wouldn't be interesting to create such a system for the action parts, with the possibility to edit the buttons and choose the favorite ones.
    There is already such a system in Visionaire with the combobox, and I find it very good. In my opinion it should be activated by default, it's much better to use than the current list!

Another idea to consider would be to have an animation bar always at the bottom of the screen (like in After Effects or 3dsmax, again). By the way do you think you will improve the animation system too? For example it seems that we can't delete frames with the keyboard for the moment. And we can't select several frames at once to delete them (we have to delete the whole animation object, or remove frame after frame).

I'd like also to remind the idea to add the possibility to create folders in the scenes and objects lists (the 2 columns on the left).

Finally will it be possible to undock or minimize the surrounding windows?
    Maybe you don't know yet, so nevermind, it was great to see your progress. Thanks for sharing!

Good luck!

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #83, by SimonSSunday, 16. August 2015, 15:20 9 years ago
    The windows are undockable und can be rearrenged freely.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #84, by Simon_ASASunday, 16. August 2015, 15:23 9 years ago
    Perfect then smile

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #85, by SimonSSunday, 16. August 2015, 16:22 9 years ago
    I'm planning a system to directly type all actions, it sounds very good in my head, will see how good it'll be in the end. Didn't quite understand what you meant with the thing in 3dsmax, but I think I'll do the first thing and then we can check what would be better wink

Okay, noting, multiselect, del to remove grin

Folders are on the list.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #86, by ke4Sunday, 16. August 2015, 16:46 9 years ago
    SimonS you are the man! wink

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #87, by Simon_ASASunday, 16. August 2015, 16:47 9 years ago
    Yes, he's stunning!

Oh, forget the thing with 3dsmax. It was a different idea, just in case. If you already have your own idea it's much better!

There's another thing that bothers me all the time (I was just having the problem a second ago): the squares to move the hotspots are too small.
    Well, in fact it's the area to select them that is too small.

I hope you won't become mad with my suggestions, but I would like to add 2 more things, and then I leave you at peace :p

First thing: to show or hide a scene object (like a picture), we can link it with a condition. If the condition is true, the object is visible. If the condition is false, the object is hidden (this is the current system).
    Now would it be possible to have the same thing with variables? Attach a scene object with a variable and a specific value. For example if variable = 5, object is visible, else it's hidden.
    I know we can do it by scripting actions, but it takes longer and requires to go through variables+conditions, instead of just variables. Do you see what I mean?

Second thing: it would be super awesome if you added a way to mix the object scenes with the Preview tab. Let me explain: what I mean here, is that the object scenes are currently working like layers in photoshop, that we can show/hide at will, but for that we always need to navigate to the preview tab. It's quite painful, it happens to me all the time. I think it would be much better if each scene object had a small check box (or an icon) in front of its name, and then just remove the preview tab.

If you can solve everything that was said today, I think that VS will be perfect for me.

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #88, by darren-beckettMonday, 17. August 2015, 15:21 9 years ago
    When creating scene values, it would be useful to be able to flag each one to say whether they should have their value automatically reset to it's default when the scene is re-loaded.

Great Poster

384 Posts

• #89, by JoelSaturday, 14. November 2015, 21:04 9 years ago
    Hi there, after working with Visionaire more intensely and coming from Construct 2, i just thought i would add my two cents just to have it on the record grin

First of all: when you're a non-programmer like me, there will always be pro's and con's to every engine you use in either usability or features etc. So in that regard, i really love Visionaire because so far i was always able to get things done, even when that sometimes meant i need a workaround.

So here's my wishlist for the hopefully long and bright future of Visionaire:

- Keyboard Controls for Character Movement and Interface Interactions
    - Maybe simplify the whole Action Part Usability by i.e. by having global and local variables and conditions instead of being able to make them everywhere (characters, scenes, scene objects, interfaces etc.) so it gets less confusing. It could be just one single window where you can register all your Variables for the whole Game.
    - Action Areas on Character Animations. I.e., a Character has a Keychain on his belt but only in the left walkcycle. You have the standard Character interaction, and the second Action Area for the Key.
    - Previewing of Characters in the Scene Tab: it's sometimes kinda hard positioning Characters in a Scene with just Numbers so it would be nice to preview Characters as well.
    - Show all Objects/Characters in Scenes: this can be useful if you want to make Action Areas which are not in the Tab for the Scene Object (can sometimes happen if you want to have to separate Actions on a Scene Object so you can switch between them).
    - Conditions: when Animation x is playing.
    - Execution Type: Always (some Engines call this "Every tick") (so you can have Actions that are always executed until they are stopped and don't have to call them by another Action. Would make some things simpler).
    - Positioning of Texts can be very flexible over Lua, but i think this should be integrated in the WYSIWYG Part of the Engine.
    - This was said before, but it would be cool to have a GUI for the Shaders smile
    - Copy Paste multiple Action Parts: this is useful when i want to move a whole section of Actions i.e. from a Scene Object to a Character. I had to make a Screenshot last time and rebuild the whole thing but it would be nicer to just be able to select multiple Action Parts and Copy & Paste them.
    - I think this was said before, but And & Or Operators in the Actions Editor themselves would be nice. The curreent way where you have to make Conditions seperately with these operators is kind of confusing...
    - Keep Tabs open: It's slightly annoying, since i have to switch tabs a lot in Visionaire, which i wouldn't mind, but i wish that when i would return from a Character to a Scene Tab i.e. i wouldn't have to open up everything again and the Software would remember where i left the Tab off.
    - Having Scene Objects affected by Lightmap (like with a Checkbox)

And, to make things complete, here my wishes for the Forum CMS:

- Search function that actually does scan not only the Thread titles but also the Content of the thread. I think it would produce much less questions that are asked over and over again, because you could find earlier threads easier.
    - Being able to search for all posts or threads started by specific Users.
    - Maybe a specialized Help Forum Section, you can even make one especially for Noobs. That would make things easier again to browse problems other users had and you may encounter yourself at the moment.

I'm sorry to say but these are standard features of every forum i've ever been, and i would really love to see them here too for a better Community Experience.

Thanks smile Looking forward to the new Release.

EDIT: Whoops, i just noticed the Concept on the previous page which already incorporates a lot of things i've listed here grin I think with such an Interface, there will be no holding back for Visionaire anymore! I will advertise it when i'm at AdventureX in December like crazy smile

Forum Fan

129 Posts

• #90, by marvelSaturday, 14. November 2015, 21:34 9 years ago
    Hi Joel,
    I underline your wishes. smile The thing is that our manpower is limited an we develop everything ourselves, even this forum wink We will for sure go for it when we find the time! smile

Key Killer

598 Posts