Visionaire 5 Public Beta Test now live!

• #160, by afrlmeTuesday, 14. February 2017, 23:23 7 years ago
    Yes. Unity is a very slow and sluggish engine for 2D games... also for 3D games. This Unity engine is not very optimized.
    Seconded, but I also think bad optimization is in part also down to the person using the engine to develop their game as most VS users don't optimize their games that well either. Use too many animation frames. Duplicated animation frames. Don't crop animations / images. Don't bother converting to webp to decrease required hdd space & loading times, etc. etc. It's the same with Unity, though it's probably to do with modules they use & how they program/code the frameworks & finite state machines (logic) for their games.

There is only one advantage of Unity against Visionaire: You can create very smooth and nice key frame animations inside Unity. That saves a lot of sprite memory in case of long and expensive animations. In Visionaire you need a complete sprite image per frame.
    No, we have Spine support which allows creation of sprite part animations with key frame animating that can be manipulated during runtime, so technically you can create multiple animations from a single image split into parts (per direction).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTkImAOJKM

P.S: never used Unity before, but played quite a few games made with Unity.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #161, by ArtNovaWednesday, 15. February 2017, 09:13 7 years ago
    Oh, this/next month final release sounds really cool smile

41 Posts

• #162, by LebosteinWednesday, 15. February 2017, 12:57 7 years ago
    No, we have Spine support which allows creation of sprite part animations with key frame animating that can be manipulated during runtime, so technically you can create multiple animations from a single image split into parts (per direction).

You have implemented a real key frame animation interpreter in Visionaire? With smooth scaling, rotating and transforming sprites controlled by bones? How I can handle such imported animations in Visionaire? Or means "import" = converting spine key frame animation to a whole bunch of single frames?

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #163, by afrlmeWednesday, 15. February 2017, 13:33 7 years ago

You have implemented a real key frame animation interpreter in Visionaire? With smooth scaling, rotating and transforming sprites controlled by bones? How I can handle such imported animations in Visionaire? Or means "import" = converting spine key frame animation to a whole bunch of single frames?
    Don't ask me mate. It's something Daedalic requested & so Simon implemented it. I just know it's Spine & that the runtime library for it is installed. I've no clue how to use it as I don't own Spine. Might look into it at some point, but for me it's a bit too pricey - would be nice if we could get runtime support for Spriter as well as that's similar & is a much more affordable option.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #164, by masoohThursday, 16. February 2017, 11:25 7 years ago
    Daedalic uses Spine since "Deponia Doomsday":
    I would also like to see Spriter support. With $59 instead of $69 (for essentials formerly $99) it does not seem that cheaper. But for Spriter there are from time to time cheaper ways to buy as in the "Humble game developer bundle" last year.

15 Posts

• #165, by afrlmeThursday, 16. February 2017, 12:23 7 years ago
    Daedalic uses Spine since "Deponia Doomsday":
    I would also like to see Spriter support. With $59 instead of $69 (for essentials formerly $99) it does not seem that cheaper. But for Spriter there are from time to time cheaper ways to buy as in the "Humble game developer bundle" last year.
    I don't think you would get very far with Spine Essentials. It's missing about half of the useful features that come with the pro version.

I'm not sure about them using it since Deponia Doomsday. Far as I'm aware they used it for Fire too, though that game was made in Unity.

Cheers for the video links. Will check them out later as I've not seen them before.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #166, by SimonSThursday, 16. February 2017, 13:01 7 years ago
    They exported it to image sequences. I haven't looked into spriter yet, probably won't come with the release.

Thread Captain

1581 Posts

• #167, by AkcayKaraazmakThursday, 16. February 2017, 13:47 7 years ago
    They exported it to image sequences. I haven't looked into spriter yet, probably won't come with the release.
    Hey Simon, do you know when you could release the VS 5 mate?

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #168, by afrlmeThursday, 16. February 2017, 13:53 7 years ago
    I suppose it doesn't really matter if you export Spine animations out as frame sequences or use the exported model files things - though the latter would definitely be more preferable if it's possible to swap out sprite parts during runtime, or independently control limbs/bones, so that you could have characters blink, walk & talk, perform actions/gestures while talking & so on.

I do think Spine would be worth investing money in - if it's a one time fee (it's a bit pricey) if you definitely 100% intend on releasing a commercial game. If you are making a game as an hobby & don't have money pouring out of every orifice then I can't warrant buying it.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #169, by ke4Thursday, 16. February 2017, 13:54 7 years ago
    Hey Simon, do you know when you could release the VS 5 mate?

This is what Thomas wrote:

We basically plan to release the final version 5.0 this month. In any case, even if it gets delayed slightly, it won't delay for months.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #170, by F_KalThursday, 16. February 2017, 22:35 7 years ago
    Does it also mean that the OSX version of VS5 will be with us at the same time; or this will have to wait a bit more before it's finished?

Forum Fan

107 Posts