Visionaire 5 Public Beta Test now live!

• #130, by MachtnixFriday, 10. February 2017, 23:47 7 years ago
    The first main problem of the 5 beta editor is: there is no sound! No background music, no sound, no voices. Neither in the player running the game nor in the sound previews. I don't know why. I'm looking after the system requirements and the hardware to use. Maybe it need a simple solution, but I have no idea. The same game runs correctly in 4.2.5. Yes, I saved the game in the new 5 beta format before.

But I have only one game to test on my Win7 system, maybe it's the fault of exactly this game. I used ogg files mostly (no mp3!).

The second main problem is: a large animation wasn't loaded. It's gone, anywhere in the editor. All links are broken. In 4.2.5 the webp version wasn't transparent, so I had to use the png version with alpha channel. It's a huge one, but it works in 4.2.5.

Loading the animation manually, the Vis 5 beta crashs.

A little problem after all: I can't see which file is actually open in the editor. Not in the tab bar, not in the header of the editor. That will be make mistakes if I use several different files with different values.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #131, by MachtnixSaturday, 11. February 2017, 00:01 7 years ago
    The first main problem of the 5 beta editor is: there is no sound! No background music, no sound, no voices. Neither in the player running the game nor in the sound previews. I don't know why. I'm looking after the system requirements and the hardware to use. Maybe it need a simple solution, but I have no idea. The same game runs correctly in 4.2.5. Yes, I saved the game in the new 5 beta format before.
    OK, I think it's a random problem I can't stand. I started the game 10 times (F9) and 5 times are with sound and 5 times without.The same miracle with the header menues (Datei, Werkzeuge, usw.). Often I have to press the mouse to let them open, often not. There is a funny random generator, isn't it smile smile

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #132, by afrlmeSaturday, 11. February 2017, 00:18 7 years ago
    https://i.gyazo.com/b68ddb734e6ee1c2597f625f111b1c69.png
    See my twitter screenshot above. It's a beta & we all know what beta means around here; considering even official releases contain plenty of bugs & random nonsense. I'm sure Simon will iron it out bit by bit.

Anyway, had a little mess around with the css file. Some weird random stuff happening in that too. I managed to change main editor content background, but for some reasons font labels at the side of checkbox had stroke/border around the text, but I didn't see them in the css file anywhere - ended up having to add in text-background-color parameter & make it same color as I made background as it wouldn't accept transparent or rgba() values. Anyway... (again)

https://i.gyazo.com/35eb09654919dabc011f92e4fe2615f1.png

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #133, by marvelSaturday, 11. February 2017, 01:13 7 years ago
    1. Actually it's not really CSS, but similar and not all css commands work there

2. I already said that I do have a dark theme. wink Don't waste your time with creating another one

3. The Icon overlapping will be fixed. We also added the new menu there

4. Its no problem to use darker colors for the texts. I will change that in the official version.

5. @Machtnix - throw your old 4:3 Monitor out of the window and buy something new. It's a pain in the ass to work that way wink

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #134, by afrlmeSaturday, 11. February 2017, 01:48 7 years ago
    1. Actually it's not really CSS, but similar and not all css commands work there

2. I already said that I do have a dark theme. wink Don't waste your time with creating another one

4. Its no problem to use darker colors for the texts. I will change that in the official version.

5. @Machtnix - throw your old 4:3 Monitor out of the window and buy something new. It's a pain in the ass to work that way wink
    All good Thomas. I noticed it was similar to CSS. It just seems in some cases that borders have to be set for some reason & that solid colors have to be used rather than color names though some parameters seem to accept color names instead of hex values. Strange. I wasn't planning on creating a dark theme. Too many parameters to edit & I don't know what half of them are linked to. Took me an hour of messing around just to get the game tab & menu/statusbar looking like that in the screenshot.

The dark theme you are talking about is the one in the old development screenshots of the editor from months & months back? I think it might be a bit too dark. Could probably go even lighter than what I've done in the screenshot I posted. I quite like adobe photoshop theme, but even that could be considered too dark - by some people - but notice that it's almost entirely made out of shades of grey including the text (sorry machtnix, but high contrast sucks - white text is ok, but it's just as bad to look at as black text on white background).

https://i.gyazo.com/4d297008a0058e6b988a1a5853c14bd4.png

In regards to revamped toolbar, what about creating the play buttons as a dropdown & including a run without saving (f9) button too? Also dropdown for debug buttons to compact them. Move the search bar so it's on the left side of the right hand side icons - or consider hiding it & having it appear/hide with ctrl+f/cmd+f (on firefox search bar appears where bottom status bar is & on chrome it slides/fades in just below top right of navigation menu/bookmark bar).

https://i.gyazo.com/65283b93b02638897c55f9020ec42cf2.png

https://i.gyazo.com/9636010c0b65c91ba7e8d0fd242963a7.png

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #135, by MachtnixSaturday, 11. February 2017, 01:50 7 years ago
    Yeah, of course it's beta. I only noticed my impressions. Not more or less, without reservations. It's important to test everything and to remark everything. What Simon will do with this information later... who knows? I'm sure I will find unusual bugs because I did this years ago for every program I ever have opened. I'm the natural beta-tester. *lol* I think it's because I use programs not as the main stream user does. I will crash EVERY program, I promise... (my last result was to crash an i-phone, yeah!) My problem is only to describe bugs accurately in English... roll I wish good luck to make Visionaire great (...don't say ANYTHING!... Don't!). Some features need an upgrade (copy action parts and conditions, better action areas, better support for true type, defeat some crashes and a lot of LITTLE this and that), so it's time to do this.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #136, by MachtnixSaturday, 11. February 2017, 02:23 7 years ago

Hey, that's great. Thank you. I will have a look after a new upload.
    @Machtnix - throw your old 4:3 Monitor out of the window and buy something new. It's a pain in the ass to work that way wink
    No, I don't. smile I use three monitors with two PCs to switch (Linux and Windows) and three new ones with the same colour quality is unfortunally too expensive at this time. I tested a 16:9 (ca. 200 Euro) at a friends PC - and I didn't like the colours. A monitor to calibrate costs more than 400 Euro each...

To the dark theme: if somebody wants a DARK theme (I don't like it very much, but that's my opinion) you need a really DARK theme, maybe more than 80% grey background. A 50% grey background is nonsense: every colour will have the same grey point and it's all mug. So: light background (bright theme with 10-20 % grey background and dark letters) or dark background (dark theme with 80-90% background and bright letters). You need contrast in a positve or negative way.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #137, by afrlmeSaturday, 11. February 2017, 02:33 7 years ago
    Aye, but only so much of either. I've found adding a bit of noise to backgrounds helps soften them up a bit. I'm fine with light grey backgrounds as long as they aren't pure white - I think it's probably the blue light shite of monitor screens that makes white horrible to look at. Also depends on how wide the viewing angle of your screen is too (mine doesn't have IPS thing so I have to sit direct in-line with it or it looks lighter/darker than it's supposed to).

I'm pretty sure cheap-ish monitors allow callibration too. I paid €165 for mine at the time I purchased it a few years back & it has plenty of color, contrast & temp callibration options available. You don't have to go all out & buy an Eizo monitor.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #138, by MachtnixSaturday, 11. February 2017, 02:57 7 years ago
    You don't have to go all out & buy an Eizo monitor.
    If you have ever used an EIZO, you don't want another... I have EIZO ones. The difference  are in details, but for graphic application programs you need fine grading and shading in the mid range of colours. It's like the difference between a greyscale pencil drawing and a photocopy smile
    That's why an EIZO is expensive - black, white, red ballons, green grass, yellow bananas and pink barbieland colours every cheap screen can show.. ;

Because of this the EIZO isn't very fast. Movies and animations I watch on another monitor.

You are right with the 10-20% background (I wrote this before too). 100% white isn't good for longer watching.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #139, by afrlmeSaturday, 11. February 2017, 03:24 7 years ago
    I find the color thing a little amusing - well mostly when someone designs something that is meant to be viewed on a monitor/tv screen as everyone callibrates the colors, contrast & temp differently, then of course you have people who run apps like fl.ux (I used to, but it started annoying me as the colors just looked weird half the time & the mac version of fl.ux was even worse).

If you are designing for flyers, posters, photos that are to be printed out then I perfectly understand the need to adjust colors to realistically represent what the final printed out product should look like, but having said that, my dad does a lot of photography & has tried out lots of different printing paper & inks ranging from cheap to expensive & all of them print different results - so the end product may not even look like what you have on screen in the end. Also a quick note: he has worked as a professional printer for over 30 years or so (retired recently).

Eizo do gaming monitors too for about €200 plus change. Don't have a clue what they are like. I think David (BigStans) uses Eizo Forsis monitor - he mentioned them to me back when I was looking into buying a secondary monitor to use with my laptop, but I didn't have that kind of money laying around at the time.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #140, by MachtnixSaturday, 11. February 2017, 04:26 7 years ago
    I find the color thing a little amusing - well mostly when someone designs something that is meant to be viewed on a monitor/tv screen as everyone callibrates the colors, contrast & temp differently, then of course you have people who run apps like fl.ux (I used to, but it started annoying me as the colors just looked weird half the time & the mac version of fl.ux was even worse).

I know what you mean. Sometimes people use colours as a religion :-)
    Other doesn't care if the skin is red or yellow or green... wink
    If you are designing for flyers, posters, photos that are to be printed out then I perfectly understand the need to adjust colors to realistically represent what the final printed out product should look like...
    Yes, I am from the print world and the problem that the same picture looks different on different papers or screens is the reason to make calibration curves from every machine you want to use. But today the designers make strong colours (look at calendars, TV-magazins ans so on), sometimes the sky is BLUE, BLUE, BLUE and the water is BLUE, BLUE, BLUE... and house brick walls are RED, RED, RED and so on.

But if you want ro reproduce the Mona Lisa or another picture you need millions of nuances. You can reproduce a Turner painting if you want with only ten colours, but.... *lol* OK, today it's more easy with pdf and colour profiles than ten years ago (it's all sRGB today *lol*). The customer wants STRONG colours with 200% Magenta, 200 % Yellow and 200 % Cyan and 400% Black, but that's like fast food: too much, too candy, too simple...

I soon have this colour problem if I want to print my own photos on printer paper. Every brand name paper is different, every paper weightness is different (because of luminance), every ink is different. It's important how much ink is in the printer. How old is the paper. What's about humidity? You need 30 test prints ... and then the ink is empty smile

But of course: my monitors are older and they will be crashed some day...

It's off topic. But for example: if I use my 3D program to make a weight map for a character mesh, the monitor should be able to show differences between 13% green and 14% green. Or 67% green and 68% green. Or the same map using red colours... Using airbrush to make a picture you have to see the difference between 50% grey and 51% grey.... For watching a movie or using Visionaire you don't need a 500 Euro screen... smile smile

Thread Captain

1097 Posts