Support The Dark Inside Me on KICKSTARTER (updated alpha demo 1.1 ready PC & MAC)

• #80, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 03:33 9 years ago
    I suppose he could make the important bits sparkle every x time passed like the resident evil games did to try & draw your eye towards interactive scene objects & things that you could pick-up or collect.

It's a horror game full of murder, death, monsters & other fucked up shit, so I guess it's also a large possibility that the player should die.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #81, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 03:52 9 years ago
    Am I the only one who thinks Silent Hill rather than Resident Evil while playing this game?

Resident Evil is just shooting game without horror nowadays. Well, back in old days, it Was a horror game but... at least 4 was great.

Ah, hearing the news of cancel of Silent Hills tearing my heart. roll

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #82, by AkcayKaraazmakSaturday, 03. October 2015, 08:32 9 years ago
    Ye many people complaining about the hot-spots. And they say that they should do the pixex hunting. This is WRONG! The puzzles are not designed to be solved by pixel hunting! Why the hot-spots should be large areas. All the area of the hot-spots are the same size of the objects in the scene. These is butter-knife there with size of 15x10 and it's ridiculous to make its hot spot much more then it. It will kill the realism. No need for pixel-hunting if you detaily think and catch the tips in the game. That woman attacks you cause she see you on the mirror. So player need to see it and find a solution related with that. For my opinium this makes the game an adventure game.
    Lee thank you for your actions mate, I will try to implement it. Now the version 1.1 uses the wait action for soundplay which work good. But yea for the character animations, I really couldnt find a way. Simon helped me very and sent me a script. But he also told me that he should work on it more.

I like the space bar for inventory. But ye I can maybe make it fade in (which I dont know hot to call the inventory with fade in smile ... when the mouse comes at the bottom of the screen.

I used left click for everything to make it more easy to control. I dont like selecting comment from list, like "look" "take" "speak" etc.. For me its boring.

And sure this is the alpha version. If I can fund the game, everything will be much better.

But one of the things I realy want to put in the game is to control the character movents with keyboard. Also the other thing is to play video files on the scenes. Now Visionaire just lets to do those stuff with image sequances. But for complicated scenes you cant do it for the performance.

And who says that adventure starts and finishes without dying smile Come on do what ever you want and make the game how sick you want grin

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #83, by fulviovSaturday, 03. October 2015, 11:16 9 years ago
    I agree, pixel hunting is wrong, but I honestly spent one hour looking at all details and trying to mix objects together with little success (I managed to get the hanger + wool string combined but that's it), so in the end I felt really frustrated and gave up.
    Is it possible to have the solution of the demo, maybe marked as spoiler?
    I'd like to understand what I missed smile

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #84, by sebastianSaturday, 03. October 2015, 11:37 9 years ago
    I agree, pixel hunting is wrong, but I honestly spent one hour looking at all details and trying to mix objects together with little success (I managed to get the hanger + wool string combined but that's it), so in the end I felt really frustrated and gave up.

Thats the same spot i gave up grin

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #85, by ke4Saturday, 03. October 2015, 11:55 9 years ago
    The same, can't get through it.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #86, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 12:02 9 years ago
    Me too. Got as far as that.

The problem with the pixel hunting is maybe that you haven't quite setup the interaction position of the cursors quite correctly. If I recall the interaction is somewhere inside of the cursor icon as opposed to right on the tip of the arrow.

It is possible to slightly extend an objects interaction polygon. They don't have to be so close-knit to the object or its shape itself. If it's a small object, then it might be better to make the polygon in the general shape but with a margin gap around the object to make it easier for the players to detect with the mouse.

I do recommend adding something like glint animation to the objects you want to draw the players eyes to.

I do agree about the comment to do with the knife & the smashed plate. It was hard to spot. A lot of the stuff is hard to distinguish because of your seamless 3D graphics. In 2D things are often more obvious because of the line-art or because interactable things sometimes get more saturation added to them than non-interactive parts of a scene.

P.S: remember to swap the current space bar key event to a space bar (released) key event to prevent it from cycling the action continuously while space bar is being pressed. Released action will only play one time upon key released - much cleaner method.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #87, by ke4Saturday, 03. October 2015, 12:12 9 years ago
    One more thing i've noticed. I would recommend to use "Only after successful execution" option for "Activate standart command" in the main game tab as it put the dragged item always back in the inventory when i used it on wrong object.
    I was trying to use the item with multiple objects in the scene and i needed to always drag the item again.

I hope we figure the lady part out, i would like to play it futher grin

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #88, by sebastianSaturday, 03. October 2015, 12:43 9 years ago
    Some mixed criticism and observations from my side:

- Maybe a good idea is to integrate the hotspot system to show all interactive areas via key press/hold.
    I needed half an hour to check that the hooks at the drawer are there (very dark spot there).

- I realized that some objects like the pictures on the wall are not clickable. That was a bit weird because the most picture were. So i would recommend adding interactive areas to all significant objects in the rooms.

- I like the graphical work. All in all the backgrounds were very qualitative and i liked the way you switched between the different camera perspectives/rooms to make it more dynamic.
    (By the way at the screen where the "women" has some fun on the bed, the carpet overlay in the front sometimes eats the whole feet from the main character.)

- I would love to see some more dynamic animations in the scenes in the future:
    Some dust/fog in lighty areas and glimming lightbulbs would add a lot more atmosphere

- Im not sure why you chose that the inventory is opened by pressing spacebar. The chest in the op-right corner animates when pressing it, but when you click on the chest the game menu opens (only when the inventory is closed). So the chest in the up/right indicates the inventory state but when clicking on it it does nothing inventory-like stuff...

- Even if this is just an alpha demo i missed some kind of "what am i supposed to do" and "these are the controls" stuff at the beginning.

- great that you added character turning. In these realistic graphics it adds a lot more natural behavior to the characters

- the music and sound effects are great, even if its sometimes a bit too loud. In some situations i can't hear what the character is saying because of the music.

- I was i bit frustrated because i got killed all time with no indications that the "women" recognizes me. The video where she turns around even gave no clue that she saw me in the mirror.
    So i would recommend that at the first try adding a sequence where the main char can hide when she __clearly___ sees "something" in the mirror and turns around. After that she continues his fun and the player should guess to do something with the mirror to get through

kind regards
    Sebastian

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #89, by AkcayKaraazmakSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:03 9 years ago
    Ok guys smile ... The trick is to move the mirror so its angle changed and the woman wont see you. Combine the broken hanger with ball of wool to have something like hook. Then use it on the "leg of the dressing table" to move and change the angle of the mirror. Come on its logical and easy grin Then you can move to right.

Allright polygon areas can be a bit bigger but as I said, the important thing is to think and the object are not hidden in the game. They are just there, just you need to look in a logical way. When woman turn, you can see yourself on the mirror so its obbivous that she see you. And thats why she attacks you.

So I'm really currios what you gonna say about the other scenes after that woman smile ... Please download the version 1.1, it has the bug fixes and auto-save feature.

Yes Lee, I will change the code for the spacebar.

For the icon on the top right. First I wanted to use it just for inventory but opening and closing animations messed up when u clicking it. Then I used it for the menu and space for inventory. And I like it that way, it looks nice for me smile

For the volume of the music and sound, I will add sub menu to adjust the volume. You are right Sebastian.

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #90, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:11 9 years ago
    I never noticed the leg & I spent ages moving the mouse over the dressing table itself. Maybe my monitor is a lot darker than what you have yours set at. I too didn't spot the hangers for the coats. I only found them by accident while moving the mouse randomly across the screen.

Logical... maybe, but it's not so easy to distinguish important features of interest in the scenes. In a lot of 3D games, you can often tell the things you can interact with as they often have more color or detail applied to them. Like in Resident Evil for example, objects you could pick up glimmered every so often & doors that could be opened were often a different color & stood out from doors that simply played a locked sound fx usually accompanied by a text that said "locked..." or "blocked from the other side..."

You have to think in terms of: we, the players didn't create the game, so we don't automatically know where all the hotspots are. Also most people are stupid ( razz ), are illogical & lack eagle like observation skills! ( grin grin ).

Imperator

7278 Posts