Support The Dark Inside Me on KICKSTARTER (updated alpha demo 1.1 ready PC & MAC)

• #90, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:11 9 years ago
    I never noticed the leg & I spent ages moving the mouse over the dressing table itself. Maybe my monitor is a lot darker than what you have yours set at. I too didn't spot the hangers for the coats. I only found them by accident while moving the mouse randomly across the screen.

Logical... maybe, but it's not so easy to distinguish important features of interest in the scenes. In a lot of 3D games, you can often tell the things you can interact with as they often have more color or detail applied to them. Like in Resident Evil for example, objects you could pick up glimmered every so often & doors that could be opened were often a different color & stood out from doors that simply played a locked sound fx usually accompanied by a text that said "locked..." or "blocked from the other side..."

You have to think in terms of: we, the players didn't create the game, so we don't automatically know where all the hotspots are. Also most people are stupid ( razz ), are illogical & lack eagle like observation skills! ( grin grin ).

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #91, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:17 9 years ago
    I only found them by accident while moving the mouse randomly across the screen.

Actually that's the most common method to find objects in adventure game.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #92, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:19 9 years ago
    I only found them by accident while moving the mouse randomly across the screen.

In a spot that just looks black? Pap! I was moving cursor over coats to see if the had any pockets or something that could be taken from them.

P.S I hate pixel hunting. If I wanted to pixel hunt I would play one of those (5 million new games a year) cheesy find the object games that foxy games develop.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #93, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:22 9 years ago

In a spot that just looks black? Pap!

Of course, the hint or highlight is needed. But sometimes if your goal is clear the game with a speed then... never mind. Let's see how the game will be improved.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #94, by ke4Saturday, 03. October 2015, 16:25 9 years ago
    I've been hunting pixels but i really didn't find the leg too. confuse
    I would lay down on the ground and just crawl to the second side grin

Maybe it would be great to add the "spacebar" hotspot system. When the objects doesnt shows names it's even harder to distinguish what is the object. I mean the leg is just next to the table, i might go over the leg but i thought it's still the table.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #95, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:31 9 years ago
    Also most people are stupid ( razz ), are illogical & lack eagle like observation skills! ( grin grin ).

This can be a joke but to be honest this is the most important reminder to develop games nowadays.

Nowadays are not like old days. Why many game companies made navigation system in order to motivate players? The reason why this is happening is there are too many games to play and when players just didn't get motivated, then they just switch to another game.

Old days, there were only a few games so players just need to focus on one game and observe like hell, but it's not nowadays.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #96, by fulviovSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:35 9 years ago

By accident? I completely disagree. And if that's the case then it is just bad design, in my opinion.
    Ever played a LucasArts game like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island? You can immediately tell where important objects are in a room, the games are designed that way. The point is not hiding them, its stimulating the player's creativity on how to combine them to progress with the adventure.

Btw - just went back and checked the leg of the table - I think that was too hard to figure out and a little counter intuitive. I would suggest to use all the table (including the mirror) as hotspot for the action, not just a small spot hidden in the dark.

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #97, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:35 9 years ago
    Here's a hotspot tutorial with ved & resources I wrote / created for the wiki a while back.

It doesn't have to be space bar key. Could even have them permanently shown or optional in game settings. Could even set the animation to play at random intervals so they don't all twinkle or whatever at the same time if you were to make them permanent or optional. The hotspot system would 100% greatly improve the user friendliness of your game a shit ton. grin

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #98, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:38 9 years ago
    Also most people are stupid ( razz ), are illogical & lack eagle like observation skills! ( grin grin ).

This can be a joke but to be honest this is the most important reminder to develop games nowadays

Nowadays are not like old days. Why many game companies made navigation system in order to motivate players? The reason why this is happening is there are too many games to play and when players just didn't get motivated, then they just switch to another game.

Old days, there were only a few games so players just need to focus on one game and observe like hell, but it's not nowadays.

I wasn't joking. I was being quite serious, but adding a cheeky spin to it so as not to come across as a complete insensitive, egotistical asshole. wink

By accident? I completely disagree. And if that's the case then it is just bad design, in my opinion.
    Ever played a LucasArts game like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island? You can immediately tell where important objects are in a room, the games are designed that way. The point is not hiding them, its stimulating the player's creativity on how to combine them to progress with the adventure.

Btw - just went back and checked the leg of the table - I think that was too hard to figure out and a little counter intuitive. I would suggest to use all the table (including the mirror) as hotspot for the action, not just a small spot hidden in the dark.

Exactly. smile

Maybe, not the mirror itself, but the entire dressing table at least. This also confirms what I said earlier about him being the developer & knowing where each hotspot is. Most players wouldn't think of delving too deeply into looking to see if a specific part of a dressing table is the key to solving a puzzle. Like I said: "most people are stupid!" - hey it's the day & age where everyone is permanently glued to their tv screens, computer screens, tablet screens or mobile phone screens. Not like we need to learn things these days or interact with things when everything is the click of a button away! twist

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #99, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:39 9 years ago

I actually played The Dig. I know those games but didn't have a time to play. Yes, motivating is the most important.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #100, by tristan-kangSaturday, 03. October 2015, 16:43 9 years ago
    By the way, are you using Photoshop CC? The interface from your hotspot tutorial seems familiar.

Great Poster

267 Posts