Support The Dark Inside Me on KICKSTARTER (updated alpha demo 1.1 ready PC & MAC)

• #70, by AkcayKaraazmakFriday, 02. October 2015, 14:18 9 years ago
    Hi mate; Thank you so much, glad that you liked them!

My movie is "Reminiscence: The Beginning".
    Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREVKkhIbp8
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3036548

Fake Smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOExkye2y4

p.s, My previous youtube account has been deleted. I think thats why they are gone. These links are from my new one.

p.s2 I trited the mac demo and it worked without any errors on mac.

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #71, by tristan-kangFriday, 02. October 2015, 14:54 9 years ago
    Turkish horror film. smile

I watched Semum once. But your one looks like better than that one.

You have really good skill for visualization. Want to see more about that in your The Dark Inside Me. Hell, I finished this one yesterday. Didn't help that poor girl. smile))

p.s2 I trited the mac demo and it worked without any errors on mac.

Did you export mac demo from your windows?

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #72, by afrlmeFriday, 02. October 2015, 14:55 9 years ago
    What is it with horror movies & frame skipping monsters that crawl across the floor, walls or ceilings in the crab position? grin

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #73, by tristan-kangFriday, 02. October 2015, 15:01 9 years ago
    What is it with horror movies & frame skipping monsters that crawl across the floor, walls or ceilings in the crab position? grin

The Exorcist inspired too many things... without frame skipping.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #74, by AkcayKaraazmakFriday, 02. October 2015, 18:30 9 years ago
    Yea I just exported the mac demo from PC. It worked with no errors.

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #75, by sebastianFriday, 02. October 2015, 19:39 9 years ago
    Mac version seems to work without errors. Im just too dumb do get past that "sexy lady" ... cry

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #76, by tristan-kangFriday, 02. October 2015, 19:47 9 years ago
    Mac version seems to work without errors. Im just too dumb do get past that "sexy lady" ... cry

You need to gather some items and combine them.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #77, by AkcayKaraazmakFriday, 02. October 2015, 20:45 9 years ago
    @Sebastian; She attack you cause she see you on the mirror while you walking to right. Mirror is the key ^^ smile

By the way I'm happy that we can export to Mac from PC. Today I'll do the same for unix, lets see if it will also work grin

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #78, by afrlmeFriday, 02. October 2015, 23:20 9 years ago
    Well I had another go. Still not got past the woman though. To be honest I'm having a hard time with the pixel hunting. The interaction polygons you have created seem to be really small & most things don't exactly stand out in the scene & scream at you come pick me up or interact with me.

A hotspot system would be a very welcome addition.

In regards to your rotation / walk thing. I see why you are not happy with it, but it's something that you could actually fix yourself. You need to start the walk animation with the closest frame to one of your feet, instead you seem to be starting mid-stride which is why it snaps from rotation to both feet spread quite far apart.

Also while multi-clicking around the scene with left click it often seems to reset the walk animation, as the rotation script is too slow in calculating if it should carry on walking or not.

I've also had a thought to the multi-playing voices... Create a single condition. Name it something like: "char_talking" & set to false. Next inside of all the action blocks where you trigger a play sound when he's supposed to talk, wrap the actions in an if query like so...
    if condition "char_talking" is false
     change condition "char_talking" to true
     play sound "x"
     wait until sound "x" stops
     change condition "char_talking" to false
    end if

... this will prevent the actions from being triggered while the condition is set to true.

My next main issue is that you have used left click immediate for pretty much everything. May I recommend using right click immediate instead for the observation actions? Left click immediate may override all left button related actions in the action list of an object depending on where in the list it is placed.

Moving on. I find it cumbersome to have to press the space bar to access the inventory. Speaking of space bar, you have used the wrong key action. You should be using the space (released) key action instead. The regular key actions work like the turbo function of a gamepad - keep hold of space bar * you'll see what I mean. I believe space should be reserved for the hotspot system. I also think it might be more beneficial to make your inventory fade in or slide up when you move the mouse cursor to the bottom-center of the screen.

I can't think of anything else at the minute.

* ah yeah... I found it confusing that the inventory bag icon doesn't actually open / close the inventory & also confused as to the reason why it takes me to the menu when I click on it while inventory is closed.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #79, by fulviovSaturday, 03. October 2015, 03:17 9 years ago
    Tried the Mac demo.
    I believe the game is really well made and shows a lot of potential, however I have to say that after 1 hour spent in the same 2 rooms pixel hunting for hotspots to click, I have found it really frustrating.
    Some constructive (I hope) criticism/feedback:

- Seems like I am not the only one to have found problems going past the first room with the bouncing lady, and that's right at the beginning of the adventure. This is usually indication of bad game design. Being a dark game, there should be a clear indication of what can be clicked and what not, and I would also avoid multiple hotspots clogged up together (For example, it's not easy to figure out that there is a knife mixed up with the broken dish pieces)

- Use parallel trees in your puzzle dependency charts, at least in the very beginning. You want your players to be able to do other things in case they get stuck with a particular puzzle and maybe come back to it later, you don't want them be locked in a room until they solve it.
    You could branch other rooms where they can achieve other objectives, for example.

- I am not a big fan of death in adventure games. I have the feeling you chose to make it an important part of your game, just be careful with the implementation.
    Quoting the "master" Ron Gilbert: "As a rule, adventure games should be able to be played from beginning to end without "dying" or saving the game if the player is very careful and very observant. It is bad design to put puzzles and situations into a game that require a player to die in order to learn what not to do next time. This is not to say that all death situations should be designed out. Danger is inherent in drama, but danger should be survivable if the player is clever."

That's all smile
    Good luck with your Kickstarter!

Forum Fan

119 Posts

• #80, by afrlmeSaturday, 03. October 2015, 03:33 9 years ago
    I suppose he could make the important bits sparkle every x time passed like the resident evil games did to try & draw your eye towards interactive scene objects & things that you could pick-up or collect.

It's a horror game full of murder, death, monsters & other fucked up shit, so I guess it's also a large possibility that the player should die.

Imperator

7278 Posts