Support The Dark Inside Me on KICKSTARTER (updated alpha demo 1.1 ready PC & MAC)

• #20, by AkcayKaraazmakWednesday, 23. September 2015, 20:24 9 years ago
    Thanks Lee, cause this is the alpha version and even I checked many times always bugs come out smile ... But thank you for telling me those bugs. I didnt see them! The most bothering thing for me is the character's shadow and the rotation animation which I'm really not happy about. Sure if the game will be funded then everything will be much much better. I wrote down the bugs you wrote.

Hey and if you make finish the game then write mea also smile

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #21, by afrlmeWednesday, 23. September 2015, 20:31 9 years ago
    I hope the devs will be able to include an integrated optional solution into the engine itself at some point for rotation & begin / end walk animations.

Character shadows? Hmm, I think you are best of using the blob shadow option to be honest as the projected shadow will look shit most of the time due to there being a lack of diffraction due to the backgrounds & objects being 2D. It would look strange with the projected shadow floating over the top of things.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #22, by AkcayKaraazmakWednesday, 23. September 2015, 21:11 9 years ago
    Yea you told me how to use that shadow grin ... But no mate in realy pespective shadow thing, you import the draft 3d model of the the scene and the engine just calculate the projected shadows on that on visible models. And it looks like the shadows realy projecting on the pre-rendered visuals. Hope it will come in in the next builds

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #23, by tristan-kangWednesday, 23. September 2015, 21:15 9 years ago
    Yeah, many things (for me, global sound system is necessary) should be added in the next build.

By the way, how was the movie? Did you like it?

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #24, by AkcayKaraazmakWednesday, 23. September 2015, 21:54 9 years ago
    Havent watched it yet. Spending allmost all my time on KickStarter smile .. But sure soon I will.

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #25, by AkcayKaraazmakWednesday, 23. September 2015, 21:54 9 years ago
    What you mean by global sound system?

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #26, by tristan-kangWednesday, 23. September 2015, 22:07 9 years ago
    What you mean by global sound system?

Just it's simple. You Cannot Play Sound Through All scenes/rooms. Of course you can do it if the sound is background music. But let's say this situation.

You're in horror game. And you just activated the event when the suspenseful music starts playing. But the music has no loop only play once.

Now you just did in through editor. For example, you did it by start sound, not start background music. Of course the music starts playing and ends but doesn't CONTINUE on next scene. It immediately ends when you switch scenes.

So I CANNOT make this atmosphere when the protagonist goes mysterious house and wandering around the whole rooms (this is just an example).

Now you did it by start background music. The music continues on next scene if you check 'continue music from previous scene blah blah blah' in scene property. But the problem is IT LOOPS FOREVER no matter you switch scenes or not.

This is why global (control whole scene's music or something like that) sound system is necessary for me and other developers.

If it exists, then I can manually set the loop option of the music and... you know what I'm saying. lol

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #27, by afrlmeWednesday, 23. September 2015, 22:18 9 years ago
    It's possible to control the background music. I showed Simon (ASA: A Space Adventure) how it's possible to achieve random mood music between scenes. In his case he wanted his game to automatically select a random music track from about 5 different tracks & when the track finished it would unload the background music for a randomly generated amount of time before randomly selecting a new track. Also we added in a function to check if a background music for current scene exists before changing scene & if so then set the background music of the next scene to the same as the current scene else set it to empty.

P.S: the continue sound from previous scene is an horrible feature. It's actually pretty useless as it will not store the music track if you save the game on that scene. What it will do when you load a game is continue the audio file playing on the load / menu scene if you had one playing.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #28, by tristan-kangWednesday, 23. September 2015, 22:43 9 years ago
    Wait a minute. I just figured out.

When I turn the sound, I made the condition and set this condition true.

And I made like this in At beginning of scene actions.

If condition 'the music' is true
    play sound 'the_music.ogg' 
    wait until sound 'the_music.ogg' is finished
    change condition 'the music' to false.
    End if

It perfectly works. And even continued from previous scene. But it just gives another chore to me. If only I can do this manually with only one action and no need to make the condition for it..

Well anyone struggles with the non-loopable music try my solution.

Edit: Damn my solution is only working up to next scene. Not working more than one scene... what a bummer.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #29, by AkcayKaraazmakWednesday, 23. September 2015, 22:52 9 years ago
    And Lee you told me that if user clicks again again, sounds messed with each other. yes its true. But is there a way to prevent it? I use begin cut scene but then it kills the dynamic of the game.

Great Poster

440 Posts

• #30, by afrlmeWednesday, 23. September 2015, 23:08 9 years ago
    How come you didn't use the display text action for speech? Did you use the play sound action part or did you use the startSound() openAL Lua function for playing the sound? If you used the action part then just tick the wait until sound finishes checkbox or add a wait until sound finishes action part that is linked to the same audio file. That should prevent the action block from being triggered again. Or even add a pause action containing the duration of the sound file after the play sound action part. Any of those methods should prevent action block from being triggered again until sound finishes playing, I think.

Imperator

7278 Posts