Sol Invictus, a game by Munzesky Games Studio

• #1, by munzesky-games-studioMonday, 04. December 2017, 11:45 6 years ago
    Hi fellow adventure game fans. For the past two years we have been working on our first game, and finally we have something we are proud to share wit you.
    Munzesky Games is an independent video game studio based in Belgrade, Serbia.
    Our curent project, "Sol Invictus" is a story driven 2D point and click adventure game set in a seemingly utopian future of our solar system. This world of authoritarian government and corporative machinations is in an over a decade long war with a rogue A.I.
    The story follows a technician and crew member of the spaceship freighter “Ortana” who, through a chain of unfortunate events, falls into a web of government conspiracies and corporate intrigue that takes him across the solar system.
    The game features dynamic gameplay, large number of unique locations and vivid characters, stylized in a soft retro look with a constant side view perspective, giving homage to the golden age of video games.

6 Posts

• #2, by constantinMonday, 04. December 2017, 12:02 6 years ago
    super! looks very nice. congratulations.

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #3, by munzesky-games-studioMonday, 04. December 2017, 12:08 6 years ago
    Thanks smile

6 Posts

• #4, by afrlmeMonday, 04. December 2017, 12:17 6 years ago
    Nice 90's FMV style game. I just watched your making of video. Did the treadmill work well for the walking/running animations?

Also are you developing this in Visionaire Studio? Either way, good luck with the game & keep at it. wink

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #5, by munzesky-games-studioMonday, 04. December 2017, 12:32 6 years ago
    Thanks for the comment. The entire demo is made in Visionaire 4.2. 
    The treadmill worked amazingly for the walking/running animations, especially since you only need two steps and then just loop the video. So basically we used it for no more than 24 frames in the demo, but without it we wouldn't be able to pull it off.

6 Posts

• #6, by afrlmeMonday, 04. December 2017, 13:11 6 years ago
    Very interesting. I watched a making of video of the original Prince of Persia games a while back where they photographed/filmed people outside. They managed to pull that off though because they painted over the images (rotoscoping). I was thinking to myself when I watched it: wouldn't a treadmill have made things much easier. Technically if you had enough cameras you could probably record someone from various different angles, but I guess with your side-scroll perspective, just like Prince of Persia, it made it far less hassle to record all of your various animations. smile

Cheers for confirming you have been using Visionaire for developing your game.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #7, by munzesky-games-studioMonday, 04. December 2017, 13:24 6 years ago
    Exactly. We first filmed outside too, but because the character would change perspective when walking, and would have a glitch in the loop animation, we had to shoot it with a long range zoom lens, and subsequently, the picture quality was awful, so the treadmill was the only solution. That or to learn to moonwalk. wink

6 Posts

• #8, by afrlmeMonday, 04. December 2017, 13:45 6 years ago
    haha. I think for accurate-ish walking outside you would need to have the camera move on a rail alongside of the person at the same speed to keep the correct perspective, because as you say the perspective/angle changes the further away from the center of the viewport something is.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #9, by munzesky-games-studioMonday, 04. December 2017, 14:00 6 years ago
    Yeah, I guess that could work, but it would be, I think, a pricier solution for one. Plus you would have to move the light along side with the camera and the character. Controlling all the aspects would be a lot trickier.

6 Posts

• #10, by afrlmeMonday, 04. December 2017, 14:06 6 years ago
    Yeah, I guess that could work, but it would be, I think, a pricier solution for one. Plus you would have to move the light along side with the camera and the character. Controlling all the aspects would be a lot trickier.
    Aye, I know. Was more of a theoretical musing of what would be needed.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #11, by dionousMonday, 04. December 2017, 17:08 6 years ago
    looks really cool, well done guys!

Forum Fan

246 Posts