Shader Toolkit Effects not Working properly in 5.0RC2

• #1, by dionousSunday, 10. September 2017, 18:21 7 years ago
    Hi all,

Been struggling the last days with getting the Shader Toolkit Effects like warp1,ripple1, etc... to work on 5.0RC2 with no success.

As a base start, i am using a nice test .ved by user 'unreal', see relevant post. The ved is NOT working in 5.0RC2 even when i replace the shader toolkit with latest version 0.95.

See attached the updated ved with the 0.95 shader toolkit version, feel free to test it; if you manage to get it working on 5.0RC2 will buy u some beers razz

Need your assistance to figure this out, thanks!

Forum Fan

246 Posts

• #2, by caligarimarteSunday, 10. September 2017, 21:10 7 years ago
    Well, I cannot give you an easy Solution, but I can tell from looking at the new Shadertoolkit that it does not actually include the several Shaders inside the Script -- which makes Sense, because in Vis5 that does not work anymore. Strangely, I know that shaderBlur() still works fine, so I have no Idea how that works exactly (is it not Part of the Shader-Toolkit??). But if these Shaders you want do not work anymore, then go to the old Shadertoolkit-Script, look for the Areas which are huge Piles of different-looking Code inside of Strings, and copy those Parts into separate Shaders (in the Editor's new "Shader"-Category), and change the Codes until you get no Error-Messages at the Bottom anymore (I guess that is easier said than done, seems like most People on the Forum haven't looked much into GLSL-Coding, and I am also but a mere Amateur). Once you have done that, you can call the Shader with a Script very similar to how it worked in Vis4:
    local eff = "NAME_OF_THE_SHADER"

shader_effects[eff] = { shader = Shaders[eff].Compiled }

shaderAddEffect(eff)

All of that might seem as of little Use if you do not know GLSL, but I personally tend to say that People should use their own Shaders if they can, it's actually kind of fun -- connects Coding, which I do not like so much, with creating visual Art, which I enjoy.

Forum Fan

145 Posts

• #3, by dionousSunday, 10. September 2017, 21:30 7 years ago
    Thanks for the reply; well have managed to get all these effects working, but not on a specific object yet. The calling code suggested before in the forum doesn't seem to work any more:

for example:
    local eff="ripple2"
    shaderAddEffect(eff) 
    shaderRemoveEffect(eff)
    shader_effects[eff].num.strength=1 
    bind(eff, "time", field("shader_iTime")) 

shaderSetOptions({{shader = shader_effects[eff].num(), comp_dst=50, comp_src=4 }}, 1) 
    Objects.'object name'.ShaderSet = 1

shaderRemoveEffect(eff) is VERY weird here and causes black screen. If it is commented out the effect is shown. (why we remove the effect here???)

shader_effects[eff].num.strength=1
    bind(eff, "time", field("shader_iTime"))

Above maybe not needed?? Because they are already included in shaderAddEffect(eff) function!

local eff = "NAME_OF_THE_SHADER"

shader_effects[eff] = { shader = Shaders[eff].Compiled }

shaderAddEffect(eff)
    Above sounds interesting, but how you can apply the effect to an object only?

Forum Fan

246 Posts

• #4, by SimonSSunday, 10. September 2017, 21:39 7 years ago
    The syntax for binding to object has changed because the shaderset numbers were clunky.

Instead of 
    shaderSetOptions({{shader = shader_effects[eff].num(), comp_dst=5, comp_src=4 }}, 2)

Objects.Water.ShaderSet = 2

it's now:
    Objects.Water.ShaderSet = shader_effects[eff].num()

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #5, by dionousMonday, 11. September 2017, 09:21 7 years ago
    That was it , thanks so much! Had missed this part of the docs.

Have checked all effects and they are working ok, except:

ripple1
    ripple2
    highlight

I have also noticed a 'light1' effect in the shader but doesn't seem to do anything.

How can i remove an effect from an object? I guess it is not wise for performance purposes to leave an effect on an object forever, so i need to be able to detach an effect when leaving the scene.

Forum Fan

246 Posts

• #6, by caligarimarteMonday, 11. September 2017, 10:31 7 years ago
    Simple. smile
    shaderRemoveEffect(eff)

Forum Fan

145 Posts

• #7, by dionousMonday, 11. September 2017, 10:40 7 years ago
    Yes i guess so,

But!

Let's say we have an effect assign to two objects, and i want to remove the effect from one object only?

Forum Fan

246 Posts

• #8, by caligarimarteMonday, 11. September 2017, 10:54 7 years ago
    I don't know of a specific Command for that, but you could, when removing the Effect, reiterate its Addition to the Opject you want it to keep. But I can see how that might be a little janky, and a Chore (depending on the Amount of Objects).

Maybe Simon can anwer whether or not a Shader applied to an Object in a different Scene will still influence Performance in any Way at all (because if not, then why bother?), because you and I can only guess.
    (Well actually, I could apply some reeeally heavy Shader to something and check that Way... maybe I should try that out...)

Forum Fan

145 Posts

• #9, by dionousMonday, 11. September 2017, 10:57 7 years ago
    (Well actually, I could apply some reeeally heavy Shader to something and check that Way... maybe I should try that out...)

That would be nice (and easy i guess using the in-game dev console to check the system recources)

Forum Fan

246 Posts

• #10, by SimonSMonday, 11. September 2017, 10:58 7 years ago
    If the object is not shown, it wastes no performance. If you want to remove the effect do:

Objects.Water.ShaderSet = -1

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #11, by caligarimarteMonday, 11. September 2017, 11:10 7 years ago
    Thanks Simon, that is very useful to know. smile

And yes, I just checked, as I said, and it is just like Simon says.

Forum Fan

145 Posts