New user-Templates,Help

• #1, by gabartsThursday, 23. March 2017, 11:36 7 years ago

Hello everybody!

I come from AGS and I've made a SCUMM type game with that but since it requires lot of coding and it's not intuitive at all I quit. I've made many web pages with the old flash and collaborated with a 2D racing game called "miniracingonline" doing circuits for them.

I'm not a programmer, so to create what I have in mind at the moment I use basically graphic.

But of course you can't do a game with AGS without learning how to script, so it was very time consuming...

I've tried Visionaire and seen some templates and I like it, I don't know if give you total elements to create every interfaces or complex puzzles but it's very intuitive-based software and is great!

I want to learn the software, make some tests, I'm searching for templates to create the interface of Broken Sword (I love it). I don't like verb coin and SCUMM style is too retro. So inventory items bar down, save/load up, cursor changing and left click actions, right click to basic look. Dialogue interface maybe is too complex. I'd like to see some dial interfaces templates to have a better understanding.

Hope you can help me, thanks!

Of course I'm open with collaborations, making a team would be nice to help each others.

I'm using Photoshop, Animate CC

Forum Fan

137 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeThursday, 23. March 2017, 11:47 7 years ago
    A'llo, welcome to the Visionaire Studio Community. wink

https://wiki.visionaire-tracker.net/wiki/Control_Interfaces -- not created tutorials for all of them yet but the Broken Sword interface is done. I actually recommend using pure commands for everything though. Single command which will be used for interaction then a command per inventory item. There's a few threads on here somewhere explaining about why I use commands for items instead of the actual item systems that are available - I'll get around to creating a proper tutorial for it at some point.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by gabartsThursday, 23. March 2017, 13:49 7 years ago
    Thanks for the link! I've downloaded the template of the knight game, also that kind of inventory is good to start for me! Instead I've found a little bit confusing the dialogue interface but I'll try something...

Forum Fan

137 Posts

• #4, by Dean NorthThursday, 23. March 2017, 16:59 7 years ago
    Hi there.

I am looking for a collaboration too. I've been teaching myself the software over quite a few months now and I just need an artist to help make a project. I got good ideas and puzzles designed and I like the broken swords style interface too.

6 Posts

• #5, by gabartsFriday, 24. March 2017, 23:23 7 years ago
    Hi,

I'm learning the software from zero, so it'll take a bit before I can make something decent... I have an idea for a detective story adventure but I don't know if I'm going to set in the 1920 or in an undefined future (Blade Runner style). I would help with graphic but I have so few time to work with mine that I don't think to go for 2 projects smile If you know the software I could ask you some help with basic things, I'll be happy to help with something in return smile

Forum Fan

137 Posts

• #6, by gabartsWednesday, 29. March 2017, 16:28 7 years ago
    I've figured out many basic things but I still have few example of dialogues GUI. If I would for example create a GUI with images/themes for conversations (broken sword), how I associate each image with lines speech and how to use the same image again for other characters. Maybe I can use images in the GUI as object areas with conditions check? Any of you has some material to try? Thanks

Forum Fan

137 Posts

• #7, by afrlmeWednesday, 29. March 2017, 16:38 7 years ago
    I've figured out many basic things but I still have few example of dialogues GUI. If I would for example create a GUI with images/themes for conversations (broken sword), how I associate each image with lines speech and how to use the same image again for other characters. Maybe I can use images in the GUI as object areas with conditions check? Any of you has some material to try? Thanks
    Creating a Broken Sword style dialog interface would require you creating a custom interface yourself from scratch. You could create a unique interface per character you intend to talk to (would be much easier to manage), then inside each interface you create some buttons & assign an active & inactive image to each one which you could use to show if a dialog choice has additional dialog you've not yet listened to. You could grey out the ones you have listened to.

As for reusing the same button multiple times inside of a dialog conversation, you could create a value for it & inside of the interaction action you could query... if value = 1 display x text, value = value + 1 else if value = 2 display y text & so on.

Sorry for being a bit vague, but maybe you might be able to get a few ideas on how to sort it out from what I've mentioned in my reply.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #8, by blanoWednesday, 29. March 2017, 16:46 7 years ago
    ehi ciao,
    mi sono permesso di vedere il tuo profilo ed ho capito che siamo connazionali, se hai bisogno di qualche dritta scrivi qua (anche in italiano) sarò lieto di aiutarti ciao e buon "apprendimento"

ps. ho iniziato da poco pure io ma quelle poche cose che so, sarei felice di illustrartele

68 Posts

• #9, by gabartsFriday, 31. March 2017, 00:30 7 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas AFRL, maybe I'm hurrying too much I guess, I still need to import graphics to the software to try something smile

@Blano

Hey Ciao! Ok grazie, lo farò sicuramente! Sto cercando prima di disegnare personaggi e una storia, poi magari appena avrò un background comincerò a fare qualche prova di codice smile
    Magari più avanti se vuoi potremmo collaborare, io non sono espertissimo di variabili, condizioni e programmazione smile

Forum Fan

137 Posts