License for Visionaire 3 & 4?

• #1, by crankshaft87Thursday, 25. December 2014, 18:36 10 years ago
    Hello community,

first i wish to all of you a wonderful xmas time! I hope youre doing great!

I just wanted to ask: I got a Visionaire 3 License a huge time back. More than a year so similar... Now i have seen there is a new Version of Visionaire, called Visionaire 4. When i try to download it, i can't because my License key seems to be wrong. Do i have to rebuy it with every entire Version that comes out?

Greetings!

20 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeThursday, 25. December 2014, 22:09 10 years ago
    Hmm no. Visionaire 3.x license key was only valid for all versions of Visionaire Studio 3.0 until the final public release of 3.x (3.7.1) before 4.0 beta was released. The 4.0 license will cover all future builds from 4.0 beta until 5.0 is released & then you will need a new license to upgrade to 5.0. So yes, you need to purchase a 4.x license to upgrade to 4.x builds. There's lots of new features for 4.x such as windows/mac editors, multi-platform export support (win, mac, linux, ios, android) & various new action parts, open gl shader support, new lua functions, new sound engine, various optimization edits & bug fixes, 3D character support (early days) & whatever else has been added/changed. I forget. razz

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by crankshaft87Friday, 26. December 2014, 13:52 10 years ago
    Thanks for the detailed answer smile Then i would recommend something like a lifetime update license or something. Would be kinda cool to have something like this.

20 Posts

• #4, by afrlmeFriday, 26. December 2014, 15:24 10 years ago
    I think the current indie licenses are maybe a little under-priced as they are currently. For €49 or €99 you get about 2+ years worth of free updates (maybe more) depending on how long it takes the developers to upgrade from 4.x to 5.x.

For that €49 or €99 you get to release an unlimited amount of titles (games) digitally for windows, mac & linux for as long as you are using the 4.x versions of the engine. You can export for mobile platforms (ios/android) for testing or free distribution. You need a mobile or professional license to sell mobile games for profit or to distribute your games as physical copies in retail stores but most people can probably get by with the indie licenses alone.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #5, by gustyFriday, 26. December 2014, 19:30 10 years ago
    I agree that the licences are under-priced. As I said before, I would simply double the prices for start. Something like 100 euros for a single indie would be fair enough. To be honest, I would be willing to pay a lot more if I would know for sure that developers have big plans with VS engine - which I hope they have anyway.

"Lifetime update license" is kind of sick idea, well maybe for like 10.000 euros? I think your problem is that you don't believe in yourself enough and you don't realize you could make a game with a current build of VS (which cost just €49) that would earn thousands of dollars. Not saying it would be easy, but it is possible.

My dream come true would be situation where VS developers could afford to work on their engine on fulltime and also some new people like AFRLme could join the developer's core and get paid for work. And I think it is maybe even possible because people want to play adventure games today, they really want to. Did you see Ron Gilbert kickstarter campaign? Broken Age? I know that famous names play a big part but what it also shows is that people want to play adventure games in general. And with today's digital distribution like Steam or GOG? Well I think that adventure game developers have a golden times right now.. but they need tools. And here comes Visionaire engine..

Forum Fan

159 Posts

• #6, by crankshaft87Friday, 26. December 2014, 20:22 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the answers smile But please dont get me wrong, i think its not the price, more it is the way doing it. I would pay 500 Euros too for a bigger license smile I never wanted to say anything negative, i just wanted to know if im right with my thinking about Version 3 / 4.

Ive seen that i have to brand my game with Single License on Version 4. Is it the same way with version 3?

20 Posts