Competition: We are searching for a new official demo game for Visionaire Studio 4.x

• #1, by afrlmeWednesday, 22. October 2014, 14:33 10 years ago
    We are holding a competition in the near future in which the winning submission(s) will become the new official demo game of Visionaire Studio. The winning game(s) will be bundled as part the of the Visionaire Studio 4.x package. There will also be various prizes available for the winner & runners up.

There are 2 categories you can enter:

• First Person
    • Third Person

Both categories will be rated independently.

For more details, please check out the link below. & Please don't forget to check an option on the poll or leave a comment on here if you are interested or have any questions regarding the competition.

Regards,
    The Visionaire Studio Team.

P.S: at the minute we are just trying to find out how many of you are interested in entering the competition. Also you are not required to have a Visionaire Studio license or account on here to enter the competition as you should be able to create a demo with the evaluation version of VS alone.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #2, by NigecWednesday, 22. October 2014, 15:42 10 years ago
    Finally!!
    Hopefully I'll get chance to do this

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #3, by MachtnixWednesday, 22. October 2014, 16:38 10 years ago
    Also you are not required to have a Visionaire Studio license or account on here to enter the competition as you should be able to create a demo with the evaluation version of VS alone

What a pity! Too late... :-(

But nevertheless I have some questions.

1. How could I'm sure the game runs as an exe properly if I can't try it without a license?

2. What about using truetype-fonts? Necessary?

3. Of course I can create a game in the Vis 4 beta, import it into a running Vis 4.1 editor and it's a 4.1-game then. Maybe you call it a fake... But don't worry... I can't manage a new game in two months.

Bye
    Machtnix

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #4, by AlexWednesday, 22. October 2014, 16:48 10 years ago
    1. How could I'm sure the game runs as an exe properly if I can't try it without a license?

there is no exe, the game must be submitted with all files and the ved project file and will be published this way. So other users can look into the project and see how certain things are done.

2. What about using truetype-fonts? Necessary?

no, that's up to you. Doesn't matter which font you use.

3. Of course I can create a game in the Vis 4 beta, import it into a running Vis 4.1 editor and it's a 4.1-game then. Maybe you call it a fake... But don't worry... I can't manage a new game in two months.

doesn't matter if you already have some material from a previous game and use it for the demogame. If it was done with 4.0 it will also work with the latest version.

Great Poster

378 Posts

• #5, by afrlmeWednesday, 22. October 2014, 16:50 10 years ago
    1. The game doesn't need to be an executable (.exe) it will be the .ved & resource files so that other people can see how you pieced it together, just like the current demo game that comes with the free version of Visionaire Studio.

Ideally it would help if you upgraded to the current build but 4.0 beta .ved will still work for anyone using 4.1.

2. You can use ttf, font image-maps or a combination of both. Up to you.

3. It only has to be 3 scenes & it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. The general idea is just to showcase the features of VS &/or what can be achieved with the engine. There are multiple categories to score points in & I'm sure most people won't score perfectly over all 4 categories & also there's 2 competition categories to choose from. Third Person & First Person. I think if you are a 3D designer then First Person shouldn't take as long to make.

I'm all good with the storyline & game as long as it's not some cumbersome Hidden Object Game. I really am not a fan of them.

Hope this clears a few things up.

P.S: the deadline date is not set in stone & could probably be extended further if need be; maybe until end of January which should give people more than enough time to create a small demo.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #6, by MachtnixWednesday, 22. October 2014, 17:13 10 years ago
    1. The game doesn't need to be an executable (.exe) it will be the .ved & resource files so that other people can see how you pieced it together, just like the current demo game that comes with the free version of Visionaire Studio.

Yeah, I've understood. Thx. Some users remark that after converting into an exe-file new problems appear (mostly sound or video compression), which nobody have seen before. Maybe the Vis-on board-player works a little bit different from the final exe-player? That's why I ask.

Machtnix

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #7, by AlexWednesday, 22. October 2014, 17:40 10 years ago
    I'm not aware of any problems when compiling a game (except one minor bug when using multiple interface files which is already fixed for the next update). We restrict the audio/video/image formats so the games should run on all platforms.

Great Poster

378 Posts

• #8, by MachtnixWednesday, 22. October 2014, 22:11 10 years ago
    Hello again.

I think a demo game's first issue is to show most of the Vis possibilities. Not important to make a freaky new "Deponia" with a whole story. It's like a teachers school book for every age group. Some scenes to play with some dialogs to speak and with some effects to show. I'm sure this could be an argument for a "theme". The topical demo game is well-rendered with a detailed character, only the story is too short to be inspired. It's a good demo one, but oldfashioned. I'm afraid sound effects (and music) are the most difficult thing to do, because I need every new sound done by myself. Can't use sound libraries.

If you want the game playable in English, ok, that's a second language only. I haven't tried the dialog language export, but first I would start the game in German on a German editor surface. Bilingualism works well in the demo game. But what's about the EDITOR's objects and scenes? Can I translate the variables, conditions and actions into English like that? Or is this a completely new game I have to build up?

Machtnix

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #9, by afrlmeWednesday, 22. October 2014, 22:44 10 years ago
    The reason for the editor objects & game to be in English as primary language is to make it more universally accessible. Sure not everyone speaks English but more people from various countries know at least a little bit of English & little to no German at all. You would have to write the objects in the editor in English or at least to the best of your ability. Most of you on here speak pretty decent English, even though the majority of you don't actual realize it.

Your first paragraph sums up what I would prefer people to do. I would prefer that the demo games are a fun interactive guide to Visionaire Studio itself. You could still make a fun storyline around that & it solves the issue of giving people too much creative freedom & the time wasted on trying to come up with a unique storyline. As you mentioned Deponia, think of the little tutorial part that you can play before the actual game started.

You don't have to create the sounds from scratch. There's plenty of websites that offer royalty free sounds free for commercial, non-commercial or with a limited creative commons distribution license. Sure it would be ideal if you could create all sounds from scratch but I know that is not realistic in everybody's case.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #10, by MachtnixThursday, 23. October 2014, 01:48 10 years ago
    You would have to write the objects in the editor in English or at least to the best of your ability. Most of you on here speak pretty decent English, even though the majority of you don't actual realize it.

I say it with Freddys words "I'll do my very best" (from "the 90. birthday"). But because English isn't my mother tongue I have a fight with dictionarys and grammar books writing this text... Some paragraphs here took more times than writing a short story in German... ;-) because of "not thinking in English in my brain". So I waste my time to articulate some phrases in English and I'm not sure if it's exactly what I want to say.
    Sometimes I read "over the text" without understanding. What does or at least to the best of your ability means? English or not?

edit: I looked into the export file of the demo, but I can change the game language in dialogs and maybe objects only. Other stuff, like names of animation frames or conditions I can't translate later...

Machtnix

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #11, by andiliddellThursday, 23. October 2014, 10:18 10 years ago
    I'd be really interested in creating something for this. Just need to squeeze it around all my other commitments smile

Forum Fan

178 Posts