Can''t seem to build as .exe

• #1, by mrmustard0Thursday, 20. October 2011, 06:38 13 years ago
    I've downloaded the Visionaire full version, registered it in the program, and I still can only build my game as a .vis file, not as .exe. I tried to uninstall and install again, but now I can't find the option to register again. Is the game still registered. And how do I get it to build the game as .exe in the full version I've purchased?

6 Posts

• #2, by mowrenThursday, 20. October 2011, 10:22 13 years ago
    Visionaire 3 omited the option to build the game as an Exe in favor for a structure aimed at crossplattform compability. It's just that those players for other plattforms aren't ready yet.

10 Posts

• #3, by mrmustard0Thursday, 20. October 2011, 10:51 13 years ago
    So what's the difference in functionality between the freeware and the one I purchased? I mean, the license page says

"The full version of Visionaire 3.x can be purchased for 35 Euros. With this version it is possible to compile the project to a finished game. A finished game consists of one or multiple files and cannot be edited by the Visionaire Editor anymore."

But I can only compile to .vis in the version I purchased? I thought that you could also compile to that filetype in the freeware version. So do I understand it correctly: You can't build your game at all in the freeware version, only "Save and Run" it, but in the purchased version you can build a game, though only to .vis format?

6 Posts

• #4, by NigecThursday, 20. October 2011, 15:53 13 years ago
    When you buy you should get a serial number and user name, you enter these on the website and download the full version it should be registered

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #5, by SCUD24Tuesday, 25. October 2011, 02:50 13 years ago
    wait just a second... Can we not export to .exe anymore?! Can someone please explain?

28 Posts

• #6, by SCUD24Tuesday, 25. October 2011, 05:38 13 years ago
    So I just tried this as well... Will someone please explain how I am going to compile and market my game as a .vis file? Seriously? I know for a fact when I purchased my license the webpage advertised .exe compiling. When I bought Kaptain Brawe on Steam, it did not come in a .viz file. Have I wasted over 80 hours here? Someone please help me to understand how this is to work.

28 Posts

• #7, by mowrenTuesday, 25. October 2011, 10:52 13 years ago
    When you compile your game, the game data will be packed into the .vis file. If your game has lots of graphics I would recommend using the option to save those graphics in additional files because the .vis file would get rather big. That could be a problem if you want to patch your game.

When building a game all the necessary DLLs and the player Exe will be copied to the specified folder. The player Exe is needed to play the game without the editor and can be renamed as you like. With this structure you'll be able to use the same game data with the comming Mac OSX player (and eventually other OS as well in the future) without the need to rebuild the game for another plattform.

After building the game you can make it ready for distribution with readme, installer, etc.

The old option to build as an Exe was to add all the files to just a single Exe file with all the game data, DLLs, etc. That method had the problem that you couldn't patch the game, you had to replace it completely.

Btw. Kaptain Brawe doesn't use Visionaire. Just the old demo did.

10 Posts

• #8, by SCUD24Tuesday, 25. October 2011, 15:39 13 years ago
    Mowren, thank you for the breakdown. I had felt like I've wasted all my off-time for the last few months there.

28 Posts

• #9, by SCUD24Friday, 28. October 2011, 01:41 13 years ago
    Alright, So I compiled my game for the very first time. I've got to say, I am so impressed with Visionaire! It is a wonderful product, and the compiled version seems to run so much smoother than the in-program version. Even the animations seem to pre-load much faster.

28 Posts

• #10, by littleledsTuesday, 04. June 2013, 15:33 11 years ago
    Hi guys, The VE is quite amazing to work, but when i bought this engine i was thinking as well that would be a instaler file, so how i send the .EXE and the other files of my game to the user? As a .RAR? Can i even modify the icon of my game to create a nice shortcut?

Thank You.

22 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeTuesday, 04. June 2013, 17:05 11 years ago
    there are various programs that you can find to compile your game inside of an installer.
    for instance if you were to release your game on gog.com: I think they compile the installer for you.

the point in the export of your game executable & the required files is that they are ready to play...
    if they were exported as an installer as you say then you'd have to arse about installing & uninstalling just to be able to test what you've exported.

as for the game icon & details: you can use a program called Resource Hacker - check the sticky topics page inside of the wiki linked above for more info (there seems to a directory issue with wiki link on menu - it only works if you click it via the VS index/portal page)

Imperator

7278 Posts