Unity3D vs Visionaire 4

• #1, by const4ntineFriday, 25. April 2014, 14:00 10 years ago
    Im currently looking at Visio4 and Unity3D. Unity is much more powerful and I can sell my game without any restrictions on all platforms, consoles included (well there's 100 000$ limit, hah!). And it's free!

Plugins like this makes it even better. And it's just for 70$, no restrictions.

What are Visio4 adventages (besides ease of use)?

14 Posts

• #2, by BigStansFriday, 25. April 2014, 15:11 10 years ago
    Really? I do not think so.

You're sure, you can easily create an game with dotNET experience, load .NET plugins (not all are cross), and export it for all platforms? Good luck.
    Unity was like the UDK. It's naked. You need plugins or write your own / extend it. You must support your own engine & games. If you want to test your game on mobile devices or something, you need the Unity Pro + iOS Pro versions (Profiler and GPU profiling). You can't take money from users without Quality Assurance.
    If you really want to make and sell an game, you need all "Pro" version.
    So, you need much more time and people to write an "SDK" or something and support yourself.

You can't compare Visionaire with unity. Visionaire was an full featured WYSIWYG lightweight cross platform written engine for Adventures. Create an game and export it on every device.

Visionaire costs 49€. We've be fair.
    Oh, and you can play Videos with Visionaire under 1500 Bucks grin

Great Poster

361 Posts

• #3, by SimonSFriday, 25. April 2014, 15:21 10 years ago
    First of all to get functionality like Vis 4 you would need the Adventure Creator as you said, Visionaire would be cheaper. Next point, event though Unity might be more powerful, it's focused on 3d games, so it will be hard for you to get to the same point that Visionaire offers you. And multiplatform export is not as easy Unity suggests you. If you are a programmer go for Unity but the learning curve is much higher. If you don't have that much time go for Visionaire.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #4, by const4ntineFriday, 25. April 2014, 15:47 10 years ago
    Unity licences:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses
    http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/05/21/putting-the-power-of-unity-in-the-hands-of-every-mobile-developer/

Where's the info about non-free iOS testing/exporting? Looks like free exporter is bulit-in.
    And I can sell games made with free version until profits will reach 100 000$ Can't I?

Unity 4.3 has nice 2D toolkit.

http://unity3d.com/pages/2d-power

I watched some videos on YouTube about Adventure Creator and looks like it's more scripting than programming.

I can say that no video playback in free version is just stupid. But there's no problem making in-game cutscenes, right?

First of all to get functionality like Vis 4 you would need the Adventure Creator as you said, Visionaire would be cheaper.

Not quite. I need mobile export with ability to sell my game so Unity will be much cheaper.

14 Posts

• #5, by gustyFriday, 25. April 2014, 18:38 10 years ago
    Depends on what type of game you want to make. Tycoon, rpg, side scroller? Hell Unity. But for adventure game, or even for some multi-genre hybrid game with point and click interface I think you're pretty safe with Visionaire.

Forum Fan

159 Posts

• #6, by GlenfxSaturday, 26. April 2014, 09:17 10 years ago
    Visionaire is really great, i love it even though i can't pay for it right now (that's the bad thing about living in a fifth world country that just happened to go to hell and you got limited to only use $300 -a year- on foreign purchases), so i may end up making a game with it in what seems to be a very distant future. One thing i love is that i can make a full working game with ease and i focus on the art and interactions instead of coding.

Unity on th other hand is not exactly cheap, but the mayor point to it is you only pay the license fee once and you can make whatever you want with it and not worry about fees and stuff, plus you can make lots of different kinds of games with it including 2D point N click (Leisure Suit Larry 1 remake was made with it and works great) and also the users can expand on it, BUT it's not an easy application to use and you may end up paying for extra plugins.
    I have a hate/love thing with Unity, it has some great stuff specially for importing 3D assets and building your worlds with basic interactivity, but i think it's a total mess of a tool specially if you start using plugins and addons since it tends to break kind of easily.

NOW, I was looking at Unreal Engine 4 today and was quite intrigued/impressed by the "Blueprint" feature, seems to be easier to use and seems to be a bit tailored to artists with limited/null scripting knowledge.
    On top of it, it has what it seems to be an incredible deal of a license, it has a monthly fee of $19 BUT apparently you can use the engine by paying the first month and then you can cancel the subscription (which covers mostly updates) and still be able to use the software without restrictions. You only agree to pay 5% of your game's selling price in order to use the software... I think that is quite a deal even more considering how powerful the Unreal Engine is.

72 Posts

• #7, by const4ntineSaturday, 26. April 2014, 12:27 10 years ago
    Well, I started to look for another engine when I saw V4 licences. Second version of licences are way better than the first, but it destroyed my dreams about selling my game on AppStore. I just can't pay 490 euros for engine where you have to pay another 490 when releasing a game. It's too expensive when your salary per month is 300euros and you must pay half of it for rented room (not even speaking about going to cinema or buying a book to read). I was advising to create separate licences for users and companies but no one listened.

Let's look for another engine and what you can get for simmilar price:

Game Maker Studio Master Collection - you can create any kind of 2D game on any platform without coding, just scripting.

mayor point to it is you only pay the license fee once and you can make whatever you want with it and not worry about fees and stuff, plus you can make lots of different kinds of games with it including 2D point N click (Leisure Suit Larry 1 remake was made with it and works great) and also the users can expand on it, BUT it's not an easy application to use and you may end up paying for extra plugins.

That's greatest thing about it. You pay once, and it's very fair. Yes if you want more functionality you can buy plugins, but you can make games without it. Yes, it's not an easy application to use, but I like the challenge, and im not limited to point & clicks only.

NOW, I was looking at Unreal Engine 4 today and was quite intrigued/impressed by the "Blueprint" feature, seems to be easier to use and seems to be a bit tailored to artists with limited/null scripting knowledge.
    On top of it, it has what it seems to be an incredible deal of a license, it has a monthly fee of $19 BUT apparently you can use the engine by paying the first month and then you can cancel the subscription (which covers mostly updates) and still be able to use the software without restrictions. You only agree to pay 5% of your game's selling price in order to use the software... I think that is quite a deal even more considering how powerful the Unreal Engine is.

Another great engine and you can do everything in it. UE4 has good future, most of game developers will use it.

14 Posts

• #8, by AlexSaturday, 26. April 2014, 13:06 10 years ago
    As long as you create a desktop game you're usually fine with the 49 euro license. If you create a mobile game then you have to pay 490 once (and not twice) for each game. With Unity on the other hand you have to pay 4500 Euro (3x 1500) if you want to publish your game on iOS and android with the Pro version. So unless you create more than 10 games the Visionaire license will be cheaper. An adventure game usually takes multiple years to develop so I highly doubt there will be many users creating that many games.

UE4 is an amazing engine but I doubt it is well suited for 2D/2.5D adventure games, it's a 3D engine after all. And I don't think it is that easy to handle for beginners and small teams. But if you already have lots of experience with UE4 and good programming skills (or a lot of time to learn) than you should probably go for it.

Great Poster

378 Posts

• #9, by MehrdadSaturday, 26. April 2014, 15:28 10 years ago
    49 euro for indie license is excellent without any doubt.But i think is expensive for mobile license.You consider a game developer make a series of little adventure mobile games and he have to pay 490 for each game!!!!
    I prefer Visionaire to other engine but i have really problem with mobile license as EACH GAME.
    any suggestion.....

39 Posts

• #10, by const4ntineSaturday, 26. April 2014, 15:52 10 years ago
    But i think is expensive for mobile license.You consider a game developer make a series of little adventure mobile games and he have to pay 490 for each game!!!!

That's because I have a problem with V4 mobile license. Visionaire is nice engine for point & clicks (reminds me a "Point & Click Development Kit") but not with this prices.

My suggestion for you is:

1. If you want to make adventure games for PC buy Visionaire4 indie license.
    2. For mobile export go for Unity and Adventure Creator plugin. UI is more complicated but you can make an adventure game without programming and there's ton of tutorials on YouTube. Plugin costs 70$ but with no restrictions and you can make 2D or full 3D game like "The Walking Dead". With functionallity of Unity3D + Adventure Creator plugin, Visionaire4 mobile licence seems to be funny. More: there's no need to buy full version of Unity to make a good adventure game (depends if you want video playback, but who uses that these days? Every cutscenes are engine-based now). You must buy Unity3D pro only if your income will be greater than 100 000$

14 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeSaturday, 26. April 2014, 16:07 10 years ago
    The mobile license isn't really just for mobile export. It is for no limitations digital distribution of all 5 target platforms (windows, mac, linux, ios, & android). Also there is no limit for how much you can receive from crowdfunding. The only limitation is that you can not offer your game as a physical product in the pledge prizes or after the campaign. If you want to offer your game as a physical product then you need to purchase the pro license (per title) which has no limitations at all & no enforcements of any kind such as branding/watermark.

Sure the mobile license could probably be lowered to half current price or even €99 (per title) which I think would be acceptable. Having said that I'm not sure that Thomas or Alex will be willing to edit the current license plan any further. Besides we've already reduced both the commercial licenses by over €1k & removed the royalty tax. If we reduced it again, then people would assume we could reduce it further still... where would it end? wink

In regards to the monthly subscription for UDK - I hope we will be able to sort out a similar plan at a future date (cheaper than udk, obviously), as I believe it would be welcomed by people on low incomes, or kids/students that can't afford to spend x lump sum in one go.

Imperator

7278 Posts