Flashlight

• #10, by AlzasThursday, 24. July 2014, 10:37 10 years ago
    Any suggestions concerning this issue?

21 Posts

• #11, by brut69Thursday, 24. July 2014, 11:17 10 years ago
    I don't see a way around it unless you create a Lua script with "Mouse_Over" that will show each item name at a location specified. This ofcourse will mean that you will have to re-enter all the items again as set points which is alot of work.

Great Poster

266 Posts

• #12, by AlzasThursday, 24. July 2014, 12:31 10 years ago
    Hmmmm, i was thinking something like repositioning the action text and setting in for example (-10,-10) pixels from cursor position, even though there is a cursor image there (the transparent cycle). I don't think that this would require to reset the objects. I will have to investigate further.

21 Posts

• #13, by afrlmeThursday, 24. July 2014, 12:52 10 years ago
    Hmm I'm not actually sure if you can reposition action text. I've not actually tried before & I don't see anything in the data structure that we could use for it.

You could if you don't mind the action text being displayed near the mouse cursor, just the display action text in rectangle/box position, which means that you could have it display action text near bottom of screen or something instead. Just a suggestion mind.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #14, by AlzasThursday, 24. July 2014, 13:21 10 years ago
    Hi AFRLme.

If i understand correctly, you mean to display text in a fixed position? If yes, that is not something i would like very much, though if there is no alternative and i want the flashlight effect, then maybe i have no choice.

Another idea that just came into mind to achieve the same effect, is not to include name in the scene objects, but create enter area effects, something like a display narrator message with the name of the object in specific places for each object (directly above it for example) would kind of give the impression of a cursor? I don't know. Sounds a little bit silly now that i think of it, since most messages need a click to "resume play".

21 Posts

• #15, by afrlmeThursday, 24. July 2014, 13:52 10 years ago
    you can use the display object text action part which displays text until manually unloaded with the hide object text action part. Although you can set the initial position of the object text, I don't believe you can move it around afterwards.

An alternative I could think of would be to create one scene object & make it so that it's object center is above every other scene object & then add loads of animations to it with text/images of the object names you want to display & then play/stop them on mouse over & use a bit of lua script to have it snap the animation (top left corner) to the current mouse cursor position minus/plus x/y offset. Easy enough to do providing you know a bit of lua script but a lot of manual work involved to get it to work.

Hmm actually I can think of a global way to sort out what I just mentioned above using a few lines of lua script only plus an interface & the text/image animations, but I can't think exactly how off the top of my head at the minute.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #16, by AlzasThursday, 24. July 2014, 15:12 10 years ago
    Ok, don't bother anyway. At the moment it is just an experiment. I will have to investigate it further when i reach this part of the game i am working on, then i will update this thread if i come up with something that can be used later by others as well.

Thanks guys.

21 Posts