comment sets

• #1, by constantinMonday, 26. February 2018, 17:07 6 years ago
    sorry, if this is a double post. my previous vanished. 

i need help.
    can somebody explain, how the comment sets work?
    i want the character to say something like "i cannot open this" when the user tries to open something that cant be opened. i wrote the comment and selected "open" as "command". also i assigned the comment set to the main character.
    but nothing happens. 

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #2, by stothewMonday, 26. February 2018, 17:46 6 years ago
    have you double checked to have no blank "open" action on the Objekt?
    Also for testing you can leave "command" blank so it should be triggered on every undefined action.

Forum Fan

127 Posts

• #3, by constantinMonday, 26. February 2018, 18:45 6 years ago
    Yes. I checked. Hm. Any ideas? Is it possible that i always use immediate execution? (I make a 1st person game)

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #4, by constantinMonday, 26. February 2018, 18:46 6 years ago
    I meant: is it possible that it is a problem that i use immediate execution.

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #5, by sebastianMonday, 26. February 2018, 22:38 6 years ago
    I meant: is it possible that it is a problem that i use immediate execution.
    The comment set should only trigger if you DONT set a specific action for this command at an object or item. So ots independent of your "execution style". Otherwise i remember that the person always goes to the object position and then answering with the generic comment set answer. The fact that your char cant go there is maybe the issue...

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #6, by constantinTuesday, 27. February 2018, 11:28 6 years ago
    hm ... i tested it. it doesnt work either when i let a character walk towards the object. i never used comment sets before, so i am not sure, how to do it. maybe i forgot something. 
    1. "comment set" for main character - select command you want something to be commented, write comment
    2. "properties" of main character - select comment set

what else do i have to do?

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #7, by afrlmeTuesday, 27. February 2018, 11:48 6 years ago
    The comment set has to be active for it to work. Check in the properties tab of the character to make sure it's set. Comment sets work by randomly executing one of the comments when you click on a scene object/character/item that doesn't contain the active command or item you are currently holding in the actions list.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #8, by constantinTuesday, 27. February 2018, 12:43 6 years ago
    hm, no, it just doesnt work. maybe it is because of the "immediate execution". but i need to use that because its a 1st person game. 

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #9, by esmeraldaTuesday, 27. February 2018, 13:06 6 years ago
    Well, i guess if you use immediate execution you must have set an action for this command and object. Else the character would walk to the object. But the comment set isn't triggered if there is a specified action for this command. So I fear there is no way you can use the comment set in a first person game, unless you let an invisible character walk through the sceene at a very high speed to minimize the delay.

Key Killer

513 Posts

• #10, by constantinTuesday, 27. February 2018, 13:18 6 years ago
    ok, thank you. that was, what i thought.

Forum Fan

167 Posts

• #11, by sebastianTuesday, 27. February 2018, 13:58 6 years ago
    ok, thank you. that was, what i thought.

As a workaround just create some "called by another action" Actions in your character which you can call from the object when you use a specific command on it.
    In these actions you can have a random value set and depending on that display a different reaction. 
    When using this method you are also not bound to "only text reactions" because you can put anything in here.

Thread Captain

2346 Posts