Visionaire 5 Public Beta Test now live!

• #100, by marvelWednesday, 08. February 2017, 00:12 7 years ago
    @Lee:

Regarding your first point "item selection". I would do the same and already added it to our list a while ago but maybe its complicated because of compatibility. I guess the image data field would need to be converted, etc. Changing it could lead to several issues... 

To your 3rd post: Yes, parameter imput fields would be really nice, but this is something Simon has to check. I don't know nothing at all about the chances adding "rotation" or "transparency" there. But I could prepare a visual concept, yes smile

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #101, by marvelWednesday, 08. February 2017, 00:16 7 years ago
    As said before I already worked on a dark theme. You see it anywhere in this thread. It will probably come in a few weeks. I think its not very urgent, hm? wink 

Urgent things from my point of view: 1. Character Turns 2. Export grin

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #102, by afrlmeWednesday, 08. February 2017, 00:57 7 years ago
    I spoke to Simon about the parameters the other day. I believe in order for them to be any good (except position as that already exists in the xml data) that he would need to update the xml data that gets written to the ved/vis files & the player source code would need to be updated so that it can read the new xml data. I don't know how much work it would be, but it would be a really nice feature for both the editor & people that aren't script savvy - action parts to create rotation & scaling would be useful for non-scripters too.

I don't think character turns are super important. It will be one of those features that people choose to use or not use. From an animation perspective it's quite a lot of work if they have to generate 1 animation per from to direction for each & every single direction - my math sucks, so no clue on the amount of animations they would need. 7 per direction I think because you have clockwise & counter-clockwise.

Most important in my mind is export options. Fixing the current minor bugs & gui issues. Deciding on what you want to do about freeware version (keep it with 10 scene limitation, keep it without any export options or maybe include windows, mac, linux with 10 scene limitation or without limitation & completely open it up to a degree for people that want to develop freeware games with it). Also should really be looking into Steam for when the official version is released.

As for the item thing. Yes I see it causing a slight issue with compatibility, but then again it's a brand new .x version so not everything has to be back compatible & I don't think it would take people long to add a single frame image into the active/inactive animation section if the image associated with old ved can't be pushed across.

P.S: if you want to declutter the top toolbar further you might consider just having a regular run game button rather than save and run & the run current scene buttons. They could be assigned to shortcuts instead. Same thing goes for the various debug icons.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #103, by PaupasiaWednesday, 08. February 2017, 03:06 7 years ago
    I love the new layout but please keep the buttons "Run&Save" and "Run current scene"  I use them very often and it is very convenient to have them at your fingertips click.

Although it is fashionable to the dark  theme, personally  do not appreciate it.
    After watching for hours white characters on a black background I find myself to have them printed in the eyes.  Really annoying. 

Forum Fan

165 Posts

• #104, by TinTinWednesday, 08. February 2017, 06:54 7 years ago

Urgent things from my point of view: 1. Character Turns 2. Export grin
    Yes and yes . Turning character is so important for me. I have ready 46 custom turning animations and I want add to the game.

For Exports:

Android : As I said before please add apk+OBB for large games . As Google PLay don't confirm apk larger than 100MB size.

HTML5 : Please integrate it with WebGL too.

Mobile ports : Shaders compatibility

Forum Fan

196 Posts

• #105, by marvelWednesday, 08. February 2017, 07:53 7 years ago
    I love the new layout but please keep the buttons "Run&Save" and "Run current scene"  I use them very often and it is very convenient to have them at your fingertips click.

Although it is fashionable to the dark  theme, personally  do not appreciate it.
    After watching for hours white characters on a black background I find myself to have them printed in the eyes.  Really annoying. 

Yes, I'm with Paupasia here. I think the two Play-Icons are a good help and I also use them often. But I will think about the Icon Layout and may adjust some things. If I have some ideas I will post them here.

I'm also a fan of light themes - but we will provide a dark one that you can use optionally.

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #106, by darren-beckettWednesday, 08. February 2017, 10:48 7 years ago
    Essentials:

1) Android apk+OBB for large games

2) Dark theme - A must have when you're developing all day

Great Poster

384 Posts

• #107, by afrlmeWednesday, 08. February 2017, 11:04 7 years ago

What you are describing is an high contrast theme. White background with black characters or black background with white characters. Both irritate my eyes.

A nice dark theme isn't really that dark > see adobe products from last few years. They mostly consist of shades of grey. As long as the background isn't super white or too dark then it's ok. Try coding/programming for a few hours with a white background & see how irritated your eyes get. Reading a ebook is about the same equivalent if the background is left white.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #108, by esmeraldaWednesday, 08. February 2017, 15:42 7 years ago
    I found another small bug: I can't set the text-box for the dialogues after I put in the background. If I try to draw the box, the background image moves instead. Only after switching to another tab and comming back, I can selct the text-box an really draw a box.

Regarding the toolbar - I like the new idea for the dropdown menu. Looks neat.

Edit:
    Next issue - I can't create an action area. If I select "action area" in the way system tab and click on the plus symbol, a new way system appears, not an action area.

Key Killer

514 Posts

• #109, by PaupasiaWednesday, 08. February 2017, 22:52 7 years ago
    Yes, a soft theme is the top for the eyes grin

Forum Fan

165 Posts

• #110, by MachtnixThursday, 09. February 2017, 01:45 7 years ago
    tested also yesterday with wineskin (and opengl flag)  and also had the icons in the top bar crumped together with 1920x1080 resolution. Does this also counts as low resolution?

Regarding the Grey colors: i like them. they are good readabke on my monitor and Im not sure if these are more hard to read for some people or if their monitor is maybe not calibrated right. Or do we deal here with sime kind of color blind/weak nesses?
    Yes, actually grey colors on white backgrounds are better readable than black ones - that's what we've learned back in graphic design school. I do also believe that Machtnix has a weak (maybe old) screen or it is a problem with the device driver. 

The icons are together too ( I wrote) - side by side without space. I use 1280 x 1024. It's not very fine to handle.

My monitors aren't that old and calibrated for printing, that means DARK (not 100% contrast, not 100 brightness), but there are the last two best 4:3-ones. So I wonder if the grey is too light for me. Other users love this 100/100%-standard values and that is too much contrast for me and the grey is even more too light.

I can't see very sharp (not so good as normal people do), so I need good black and white contrast to read. Grey text is like a fog to me... This forum I zoomed to 200% to read the grey letters as well.

That seems like a paradox, but black on light grey is better than light grey on white - as mostly all pages are too white today. White background is too bright and makes tired. So I set the gamma to a light background grey (like paper). But grey text will disappear...

I can't make screenshots, because I use the 64-bit PC with Linux mostly. It's only remarkable on the dialog texts in the text areas for dialogs, I remember.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts