Im actually planning this for a YT tutorial series, too.
Right now its only theoretical But for me the SCUMM bar needs to have the following functions to as be "good" as the original:
1. left click a verb sets the action from the button and also displays it in the action text to let it be executable on an item/object. If this is a combine action, it lets an item be combined with another item/object.
2. hovering an item/object in the inventory or scene a verb gets highlighted which can be instantly executed when right clicking --> thats mostly where scripting would help here to reduce some redundant stuff needed.
3. (optional character switching buttons)
4. (optional for the "a e s t h e t i c s": items in the inventory often have a different colored shape behind it.)
5. if controlling more than one character in the game the colors of borders and font changes to a specific one for the currently active character.
6. The buttons for the verbs should actually have no text -> Text is object text for the buttons. This suppors multi language text without creating new buttons for every supported language.
7. low res is king.