[SOLVED] Lightmap from VS 4.2.5 to VS 5

• #1, by juansirlinkTuesday, 06. June 2017, 23:12 7 years ago
    Hello, guys!

I have another doubt... I'm building my game from VS 4.2.5 to VS 5 and all work perfectly except one thing: some lightmaps. In two o three scenes the lightmap doesn't works properly, but I don't know why. My lightmaps size usually are 1024x768, the same size my scenes have.

Anybody knows what could be the problem? Maybe the size? I wonder if the best option is that the size of the lightmaps was the 25% of the real size...

Thanks!!

PD: Guys, Do you recommend me to use VS 5 or keep me in VS 4.2.5 until I finish the project?

EDIT: My solution was to delete all transparencies in maplights. I think maplights must not have transparencies...

46 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeWednesday, 07. June 2017, 01:00 7 years ago
    Depends on if you desperately need any of the new features because once you start working on adding/editing the ved in 5.x you won't be able to go back & use the same ved in 4.2.5 anymore. You would have to use an older copy or backup copy of the ved before you swapped to 5.x. You'd also have to recreate whatever you had sorted out while working on a ved in 5.x.

As for lightmaps... not sure. 25% of scene size should be fine.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by sebastianWednesday, 07. June 2017, 01:14 7 years ago
    what do you mean by "doesn't work properly" ?

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #4, by juansirlinkWednesday, 07. June 2017, 01:28 7 years ago
    Depends on if you desperately need any of the new features because once you start working on adding/editing the ved in 5.x you won't be able to go back & use the same ved in 4.2.5 anymore. You would have to use an older copy or backup copy of the ved before you swapped to 5.x. You'd also have to recreate whatever you had sorted out while working on a ved in 5.x.

As for lightmaps... not sure. 25% of scene size should be fine.
    I would like to use VS 5 especially to be able to export the demo (and later the game when I buy the mobile license) to Android and IOs (in VS 4.2.5 I had some problems and did not work well the compilation). My fear with VS 5 are some of the bugs I've been reading...

46 Posts

• #5, by juansirlinkWednesday, 07. June 2017, 01:31 7 years ago
    what do you mean by "doesn't work properly" ?
    When the character moves to a dark zone of the scene, this is darker than shown in VS 4.2.5.

46 Posts

• #6, by sebastianWednesday, 07. June 2017, 13:33 7 years ago
    ... and that only on some scenes? 

You could test it out how it should look like by open your character graphic in an image editor which has layer abilities, also open the lightmap. Pick from there the dark color and fill a new layer at your character graphic with it. Then set this layer to "multiply" as a blending mode. This should represent how the char will look like ingame when in a dark spot. 

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #7, by juansirlinkWednesday, 07. June 2017, 14:58 7 years ago
    ... and that only on some scenes? 

You could test it out how it should look like by open your character graphic in an image editor which has layer abilities, also open the lightmap. Pick from there the dark color and fill a new layer at your character graphic with it. Then set this layer to "multiply" as a blending mode. This should represent how the char will look like ingame when in a dark spot.
    The truth is that it's really strange...

I tried using GIMP and in that programme I see that all is correct. The color I use for lightmaps are white and gray. This night I'm going to take some screenshots to show you what I mean, because I'm going crazy... jajajaj razz

46 Posts

• #8, by MachtnixWednesday, 07. June 2017, 15:23 7 years ago
    I think this more dark muliply level thing was in transparent pngs also if using r5. 

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #9, by juansirlinkWednesday, 07. June 2017, 23:15 7 years ago
    Guys! I found the problem... In those scenes where the maplight didnn't work properly I made a maplight imagen with some transparencies in the dark zones (with grey shades). Now, I deleted those transparencies and all work fine! I think the maplight must not have transparencies...

46 Posts

• #10, by MachtnixWednesday, 07. June 2017, 23:33 7 years ago
    Now, I deleted those transparencies and all work fine! I think the maplight must not have transparencies...
    Hm, but in 4.2.5 it is possible to use f.e. 50% or 80% transparent light maps. I often have smooth borders (what means transparency is going from 100 to 0%).
    So thats new in r5? Only sharp shadow borders?

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #11, by juansirlinkWednesday, 07. June 2017, 23:46 7 years ago
    Now, I deleted those transparencies and all work fine! I think the maplight must not have transparencies...
    Hm, but in 4.2.5 it is possible to use f.e. 50% or 80% transparent light maps. I often have smooth borders (what means transparency is going from 100 to 0%).
    So thats new in r5? Only sharp shadow borders?

I'm not sure but in VS 4.2.5 my transparent lightmap works fine and in VS 5 it isn't work properly...

46 Posts