Vis 4.2.5 crashes while looping mp3 background music

• #1, by LebosteinThursday, 03. December 2015, 10:47 9 years ago
    If you use mp3 files for background music, then 4.2.5 crashes if the music is finished. With 4.2.0 at this point the music starts again (I think looped playback is standard). I have tested this with different mp3 files (all these files are successful used in 4.2.0). All these tested files cause a crash (Windows and Mac OS) at the point of the first replay loop.

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeThursday, 03. December 2015, 12:18 9 years ago
    Use OGG (vorbis) files. You would need to acquire a license to use mp3 files in your game anyway - especially if you intend on releasing your game with the intention of making a profit.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by LebosteinThursday, 03. December 2015, 13:23 9 years ago
    I report a bug and I get a hint to licence things? Very curious....

OK, we simply suppose, I have a license. Back to the first question.

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #4, by SimonSThursday, 03. December 2015, 13:42 9 years ago
    Mp3 is proprietary, if you sell games with mp3 you will need to pay to the Fraunhofer Institut: http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/de/ff/amm/prod/audiocodec/audio...

It's not our fault. Nobody asks about your vis license. Mp3 is extremely unstable in the current build and will crash.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #5, by LebosteinThursday, 03. December 2015, 13:45 9 years ago
    It's not our fault. Nobody asks about your vis license. Mp3 is extremely unstable in the current build and will crash.

In Visionaire 4.2 it works without problems, with Visionaire 4.2.5 it crashes

Why you don't remove the mp3 "support"? If there is a licence problem and a technical problem, then it is inevitable to remove the mp3 "support" completely from visionaire.

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #6, by SimonSThursday, 03. December 2015, 13:46 9 years ago
    I didn't know it would crash, but in the future it will be removed.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #7, by LebosteinFriday, 04. December 2015, 10:32 9 years ago
    You should add a warning in future (while loading or starting a project) if mp3 files are used in the current project. By the way you can add some hints for helpless users (in tutorial section), how they can convert their mp3 files to ogg (Audacity, ffmpeg...)

Personally I use the command line tool ffmpeg (-aq is the quality level 0...9):
    ffmpeg -i music.mp3 -acodec libvorbis -aq 6 music.ogg

https://ffmpeg.org/

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #8, by afrlmeFriday, 04. December 2015, 14:30 9 years ago
    Recommended audio, video & image formats are all mentioned in the manual section of the wiki. There is even a mini-guide to encoding / converting for each one too.

I use Audacity for audio conversion. XnConvert for image conversion (freeware batch converter with macros & webp support). As for videos, I couldn't tell you as I'm not very savvy on video encoding.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #9, by ke4Friday, 04. December 2015, 14:35 9 years ago
    It's probably best to use ffmpeg ( or there are other converters ) for videos as i couldn't find a way to render directly to vp8/vp9 codec.

Key Killer

810 Posts