Sound causes Crash 4.2.5

• #1, by NigecTuesday, 11. October 2016, 16:47 8 years ago
    I've just update to 4.2.5 and now my Zeppelin example project crashes when the footstep sound plays.. if I remove the sound it works as expected
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26539256/VisionaireStudi...
    Windows 10 64 pro
    Chip set uses the most recent drivers and it worked fine with 4.2

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeTuesday, 11. October 2016, 17:01 8 years ago
    Without having to download & check your audio files, are they by any chance in mp3 format?

Mp3 support was unofficially dropped from VS, though sometimes they work & sometimes they don't. I recommend converting all your sounds to ogg (vorbis) or opus format. Stick them in same folders as they are located with same names after converting & then open up ved in a text editor like sublime text, github atom or notepad++ then select all & search for ".mp3" then do a replace all & change the extension to whatever you converted your files to.

P.S: if you are going to edit your ved in a text editor then I recommend backing it up first.

* edit: downloaded it anyway. I see there's only 3 sound files. Convert them to ogg (vorbis) format with audacity & then replace them in the editor & you should be good to go. wink

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by NigecTuesday, 11. October 2016, 17:50 8 years ago
    Thanks Lee, that worked smile

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #4, by afrlmeTuesday, 11. October 2016, 18:32 8 years ago
    No problem at all. wink

Mp3 always seems to be a bit hit & miss. Maybe it depends on the bitrate it's exported at or maybe it depends on which program was used to export / convert it to mp3. Only thing I know is that VS hates some mp3 files while playing others just fine.

The reason it was unofficially dropped from VS (which is why it's not listed in supported formats in the sound selection path thingy bit) is because of licensing. To distribute mp3 files you need to acquire licenses (not sure about for non-commercial usage). ogg & opus are both open container formats that are free to distribute anyway you see fit without having to include or purchase licenses for. Same with mkv video format with ogg audio channel & vp8 (I think it was) codec.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #5, by NigecTuesday, 11. October 2016, 21:50 8 years ago
    Strange thing is the other example, the MI1 GUI works fine lol
    At least I know and I shall change my ways smile

Key Killer

627 Posts