Hi everyone !
Here I will talk of my new project "Catyph: The Kunci Experiment", a 1st person adventure game, created with Visionaire Studio of course.
Catyph will take place in my series of projects called "Black Cube", in which you can also find my previous game ASA: A Space Adventure, release on Desura on January, 7th 2013. http://catyph.frYou're an astronaut with no specific identity, sent in mission by the people of your planet, Terra. You're all alone and you need to use your brain to progress in the game. The gameplay is close to what you can find in most 1st person adventures. But the similarities end here.
- Discover a new story in the Black Cube series (ASA, The Black Tower)
- Visit new and varied areas with realistic graphics
- Developed with Visionaire Studio
- Different difficulty levels
- And of course, all new puzzles !
I will use this thread to give you some info about the development, and also ask all of my questions related to VS. It will be a kind of development book.
The development of Catyph the game officially started at the beginning of January 2014.
(link to HD pics
More to come !
original message, 11. September 2013
Hello, I recently purchased the full version of Visionaire and tried it on a test project. It seems very good and complete, and I'm enthusiastic at the idea of making a full game with it someday.
My previous game was ASA: A Space Adventure (http://www.desura.com/games/asa-a-space-adventure
) created with Adventure Maker. It was quite the perfect software for a 1st person adventure, but it's starting to be quite old and outdated. Because of that, I had many issues with it, including low resolution and errors, so I'm glad to see that Visionaire supports up to 1920 and is quite stable !
Actually, I'm seriously thinking of creating a new 1st person adventure with Visionaire, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, even if I see only 3rd person adventures made with it. Though I have some questions on some specific points :
- I have bought the current version of Visionaire, and I just read that a version 4.0 will release soon, and that it won't be available for free if I have the 3.x. Is it true ? I feel a bit stupid now, not buying version 4 ^^ Also, do you think the improvements of version 4 will be recommended ?
- In Adventure Maker, there was a system of plugins. People good in development could make their own plugs and share them with the others. This way, I could implement various features in my game that don't seem to be available basically in Visionaire. I think, for example, of :
* a way to add an "animated wave" effect on static water pictures, to make it move like in Riven.
* a plugin for 360° panorama views, which allows a better immersion.
Do you think there's a possibility to implement these features in Vis. without scripting them all by myself ?
If not, I can get rid of the 360s, and use PNG sequences for the water, but having the previous features would be so great !
- During my tests, I could export my project to an exe for PC. Somewhere, I read that Visionaire can build Mac games : how can you do this ?
- I had some issues while making an inventory and a save menu. I followed the tutos by GlenFx, that are great to begin with Visionaire, but some of his features don't 100% work. For example, in the save menu, when you select a slot to save your game into, the game is usually saved in another slot. It's not only in my test-game, it's also in the demo provided with the tutorials. Is there another place to find good tutorials ?
Thanks for your help !