Mobile Export Vs HTML5 with wrapper?

• #1, by ygmantellWednesday, 13. September 2017, 04:03 7 years ago
    So if I were to create a mobile game with VS,  would it be easier/better (?) for me to just export as HTML5 and use something like PhoneGap to create a "native" app?

The process for creating a mobile game as detailed in the wiki seem a little long-winded, so I figured I'd ask. 

Thanks so much!

Great Poster

274 Posts

• #2, by sebastianWednesday, 13. September 2017, 08:26 7 years ago
    theoretically it should work. BUT it depends on your game and how big and complex it is . All game data gets loaded into your ram on startup for the html version (as far as i know) @devs: please correct if im wrong. 

Also you should consider that the game may run slower. I experienced a lot of lag on my 2015/2016 top smartphone even on a simple visionaire template project with nothing fancy at all which was posted here in the forum as a web version. 

Also im not sure how it works with app signing for html wrapper apps... 

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #3, by NigecWednesday, 13. September 2017, 09:59 7 years ago
    yeah its a bit like doing a flash game, you've got to be careful with file sizes, also how you switch scenes.. if theres animation, fade and sounds it can be a bit of a mess the first time the scene chnges.
    If your planning to do a game for every format you would need to focus on it being HTML5 friendly, its a lot of work to do it the other way round, my desktop game that was 800x600 sucks as html.. well I would need to optimise all the graphics and fix every room so they load correctly without the sound messing up
    The good news is the game did work first time compiled as HTML5

Key Killer

628 Posts

• #4, by ygmantellWednesday, 13. September 2017, 14:41 7 years ago
    The game I have in mind for this is a simple visual novel type-game that would only have a few scenes, a menu, and a gameplay scene (possibly menu).  There will be no moving pictures or whatever, only text.  Kinda like the game Lifeline. 

And, because theres only 2 -3 scenes, there wont be many images, so the file size would be relatively low.

So this should work, right?  I would use Adobe PhoneGap (or something similar) to compile it into an app.

EDIT:  No idea why it made more than one of this post! Weird...

Great Poster

274 Posts

• #5, by afrlmeWednesday, 13. September 2017, 15:09 7 years ago
    EDIT:  No idea why it made more than one of this post! Weird...
    Aye, could you delete the other posts please. Click edit & delete. I'd do it myself but the moderator tools thing seems to be broken. Can only currently ban a member, which removes all of their posts, but can't seem to be able to edit/delete threads for some reason.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #6, by ygmantellWednesday, 13. September 2017, 15:12 7 years ago
    Done! Sorry about that!

Great Poster

274 Posts

• #7, by afrlmeWednesday, 13. September 2017, 19:03 7 years ago
    Done! Sorry about that!
    Cheers & thanks for adding an avatar. wink

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #8, by NigecFriday, 15. September 2017, 14:49 7 years ago