free version limited to 10 rooms?

• #1, by vanoakFriday, 03. February 2017, 13:02 7 years ago
    Hi,

Can I ask why the 10 room limitation in the free version when you can't export the project anyway? I ask it because I wouldn't mind to buy the full version for export but just to get over this limitation I think is annoying.

Anyway, kudos for developing the only engine of this kind that has tools that run on macOS!

26 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeFriday, 03. February 2017, 13:53 7 years ago
    It was something that was added to Visionaire Studio 4.x. I guess it was mostly an incentive thing as 10 scenes is plenty enough scenes to decide if you want to develop a game or not bother. Personally I would like to see windows, mac, linux & html5 export options available in the freeware version, though if that were to happen then I believe limiting the amount of scenes would definitely be warranted so that only short games / demo games can be made with it.

The freeware version is only meant for testing out the software, nothing more.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by Simon_ASAFriday, 03. February 2017, 14:44 7 years ago
    I agree: that would be great to allow exports in the free version, particularly if you want to attract new devs. Then limiting to 10 scenes would be a good idea in this case.

Visionaire is not very famous compared to other engines, and you are missing opportunities. The best showcase/advertising that you can have to promote your engine will be done by external people, not your team (not that you don't have the talent, but you're just not enough people).

Unity and Unreal are free to download and use, and allow to publish free games. You need to evolve your business model, and the arrival of VS5 is a good opportunity. IMHO! smile

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #4, by afrlmeFriday, 03. February 2017, 19:15 7 years ago
    Quick note: was looking at Game Maker Studio 2 earlier. The free version seems to be even more limited than the free version of VS because not only does it limit you to x rooms/scenes, it also limits the amount of objects, scripts & other things you are allowed to create & a lot of advance features such as shaders are also disabled as is exporting.

https://i.gyazo.com/04a60d3a57e270bffe7168454666337c.png

The freeware version of Visionaire Studio is exactly the same as the paid versions minus exporting & the 10 scene limit.

I know other engines like UDK (unreal) & Unity are free, but even those are only free to a degree based on what you develop with it & whether or not you make over x money or need to purchase modules for one reason or another or want to export for some platform that isn't included in the free version. So yes, we could argue both sides of the field on whether limitations are a good or bad thing, but I don't see 10 scenes as a massive issue - still, I would like to see export options for windows, mac, linux & html5 so that people can export working technical demos of their games to share with reviewers, bloggers & for kickstarter campaigns & competitions & so on.

By the way, it's possible to make a feature length game with around 20 scenes (maybe less) so I think 10 is a decent limitation & even that is generous in a way as you could easily make an episodic content based game with 10 scenes or less per episode.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #5, by vanoakFriday, 03. February 2017, 19:34 7 years ago
    Hi,

Before going further I must disclose that I was actually thinking to use Visionaire on a somewhat non-traditional way: a mixture between Korsakaw and multi-sequence narrative of Peter Gabriel's EVE without having to hire a systems coder. 

In this case, 10 rooms are not sufficient. I was hoping to push the boundaries of the software capabilities a little bit smile

I also agree that in a classic adventure game, 10 rooms would be sufficient for testing purposes, yes.

Thank you!

26 Posts

• #6, by afrlmeFriday, 03. February 2017, 21:29 7 years ago
    Ah, an interactive music thing? I believe another member on here was working on or was planning to make one of those.

About the enforced limitations: I believe Thomas keeps them in place as a way to prevent piracy (though a bit pointless these days as almost everything ends up patched/cracked & on torrent sites sooner or later) & also as a method to make sure only licensed users can release commercial games.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #7, by AlexFriday, 03. February 2017, 22:10 7 years ago
    10 room limitation was added in Vis 4 because game developers often have very high ambitions and sometimes cannot finish their project. Many teams never bought a license because the project was abandoned after a few months or even years.

The idea of the freeware version is that you can test Visionaire extensively and see if it meets your requirements. If it's the right tool for you then you should buy a license (which is not very expensive anyway and prices were even further reduced recently).

Great Poster

378 Posts

• #8, by LebosteinFriday, 05. May 2017, 11:26 7 years ago
    Why I see only the first 10 rooms with Vis 5.0 Rc0? I have downloaded it with the serial number in the license section...

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #9, by AlexFriday, 05. May 2017, 13:01 7 years ago
    I think Simon initially uploaded the wrong version but fixed it later. Have you tried to download again?

Great Poster

378 Posts