Does Visionaire work with windows 10? It gives error "init failed..." [SOLVED]

• #10, by jmbmSunday, 02. October 2016, 12:50 8 years ago
    Hi, thanks for the fast answer. It does work on other versions of windows. I exported the game in a mac with Visionaire 4.1. I compile everything into the main file.
    Someone told me that it is working if you drag and drop the game to the Visplayer, I will test it, but I think it's an inconvenient solution.

Drag and Drop the *.vis file to the player works just fine. But if you take a look at the messages.log it seems like the player looks at the wrong place for the config.ini.

12:40:23: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Local/Trum Room/Carol Coral's: Open The Door/config.ini'

Because of that i don't think that this is a Windows 10-problem (changing the compatibly mode doesn't work for me). Seems like Visionaire just set a wrong path there. But i tried some other vis-games and never had this problem before. Have you tried to recompile it with a newer version?

27 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeSunday, 02. October 2016, 13:17 8 years ago
    maybe because of the : in your game name? try replacing : with - in the game name section of the game tab (cog icon). The pathing looks more or less right though the \stuff/ seems a little strange. Shouldn't they all be facing the same direction?

You could also remove both your developer / company name & game name from the game tab so it uses the default pathing. It's not really all that important anyway.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #12, by jmbmSunday, 02. October 2016, 15:34 8 years ago
    The pathing looks more or less right though the \stuff/ seems a little strange. Shouldn't they all be facing the same direction?

Yeah, Windows uses backslashes and Unix/Mac/Linux forward slashes, for paths. Maybe that's where the problem is coming from. I did also start the game from the download-directory (which is 'C:\Users\*\Downloads'). I wonder why it is looking at the AppLocal-Folder.

27 Posts

• #13, by afrlmeSunday, 02. October 2016, 15:57 8 years ago
    appdata\local\ is where the save game files, logs & config ini files for your game are stored / saved to. They used to be saved in the root folder of your game, but I believe the location was changed at some point to make it less likely for a user to accidentally delete all their save files & user-data if they decided to delete the game from their computer.

On the mac the pathing is even more complicated as you have both a log folder & a general data folder for some reason. At least that's what I noticed when I tried looking on my mac mini for the log files a little while back. On windows all the stuff ends up in the same folder.

I don't think it matters where you start the game from. Personally whenever I install any games on my pc I install to c:/games/ because program files sometimes causes issues with save files, etc due to often requiring administration access to update files.

Imperator

7278 Posts