Complex Character Scaling (3+ point perspective)

• #10, by MachtnixSaturday, 04. March 2017, 20:54 7 years ago
    Your three points are right smile Ich did my experiences with them and I agree.

For my waterfall sound value I requested the position of my character and compare it with a fixed object position. The closer the character the louder the noise.

If this Lua way system solution doesn't work I would set the character's size depending on the current position he stands. Because I know it works with music and sound I would try it again this way. The only problem ist to arrange hundreds of requests one after another and to decide which size the character must have at a specific (bestimmten) point... wink

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeSaturday, 04. March 2017, 21:56 7 years ago
    The only problem ist to arrange hundreds of requests one after another and to decide which size the character must have at a specific (bestimmten) point... wink
    It's possible to declare a *rect* (rectangle); x, y, width & height & then check if the character is inside of that rect or another one. With Lua tables & a for loop you could iterate through them inside of a loop easy enough - I don't know how taxing this would be on system resources though.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #12, by F_KalSaturday, 04. March 2017, 22:00 7 years ago
    Hi @Machtnix, I'm not sure if you needed the same thing as me but here is a  picture/image that describes the idea for swapping 2 waysystems in order to achieve complex character resizing. 

Idea:
    1. Create a way system (name: waysystem A)
    2. don't forget to add all your way borders and way points
    3. important: create another way-point-strip outside the way border. Set the Character Size there.
    4. Copy/Paste waysystem A. name of copy: waysystem B
    5. Change the Character Size in waysystem B's strip of way-points (outside the way borderimportant: don't change anything else - Inside the way borders the two way systems should be the same/identical.
    6. Create two action areas and write conditions to check "which way system should I display now?". Between the two action areas you should define/use the same Character Size on both waysystems in order for the scaling to be smooth!

I am not sure if this method will cause problems down the road, but so far I'm really satisfied and it's relatively easy to make, even for more complex scalings.

As seen on step 6, the only trick/consideration is that the waysystem swapping/transition should happen in a region where all waysystems have the same character size. (obviously) 
    Therefor it's easier to make this part horizontal and not vertical

Of course scaling with LUA would be much safer, but I was looking for the laziest thing possible :-)

Forum Fan

107 Posts

• #13, by MachtnixSaturday, 04. March 2017, 23:23 7 years ago
    As seen on step 6, the only trick/consideration is that the waysystem swapping/transition should happen in a region where all waysystems have the same character size. (obviously) 
    Or hide the switch point with a tree smile

I'm not sure I understand your points correctly, but the pictures show it better and make it clear.

My own problem is not that similar indeed. I need an own waysystem for each charcter at the same time and that's not possible I think (I have some sidequest characters which walk their own ways...). So my NPGs get a different center point to walk on the same way system, but it doesn't look very fine.

Thread Captain

1097 Posts

• #14, by F_KalSaturday, 04. March 2017, 23:57 7 years ago
    Yeah, it seems your problem is not the same... 
    I wish I could help, but with my limited knowledge of VS there isn't anything I can think of!

Or hide the switch point with a tree
    hah, precisely! a tree would work as well if your artwork allows for it ;-)

Forum Fan

107 Posts