Is there a 2.5D teaser

• #1, by NigecSunday, 07. July 2013, 00:38 11 years ago
    Is there an actual teaser for 2.5D?
    I bought Visionaire way back in 2009 and I think its something like 5 revisions since I bought it and as I understand it we have to buy again to upgrade to version 4 so the clock is ticking...
    Rightly or wrongly I set my focus on improving my artwork along with a story, as I have a fairly decent knowledge of how VS works, what really would help now is some insight to how 2.5D is going to work and what we can do ie
    1 Does it use a ground plane, lights camera
    2 What format are the characters
    3 can you use other 3D objects
    4 What software are you using to create characters, this may seem a strange question but most of the other engines use commercial modelling software which is usually out of reach of a starving hobbyist, Wintermute; your screwed if you don't have 3D Studio Max or Blender pre 2.49

Sorry for pushing the issue

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #2, by UmonSunday, 07. July 2013, 01:14 11 years ago
    Did you look at Blender the last time? I am almost sure there is a version (i think it was 2.6x) that is free to use.
    Also you can take a look at Sculptris, this is a free version. This is from they guys they made ZBrush.
    Only bad about this is you cant change the models after you put textures at them.

80 Posts

• #3, by NigecSunday, 07. July 2013, 09:48 11 years ago
    I used Wintermute as an example to point out why developers of game engines make life harder and without 3D Studio Max its hard to get characters into a game, they used X format that doesn't export very well from anything else, the hidden geometry wont work from Blender unless you use 3 year old versions of Blender.
    If the Visionaire developers are using Blender that's great, its just a different ball game if they use more specialized software like Max, Maya or C4D
    There was an awesome 3D adventure called DAGE again that was based around Max and he used the SIMS file format and again only Max could export characters right

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #4, by afrlmeSunday, 07. July 2013, 13:40 11 years ago
    these are supported file formats listed in older version of vs3.5 (check attachment - I on purposely covered up the 3D character properties page) there is various camera, lighting & shadow options/settings - amongst other things - to play with.

* don't know if they still stand...
    not seen anything else of 2.5D thing - all I know is it's currently being implemented into latest build for testing I think.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #5, by NigecSunday, 07. July 2013, 16:30 11 years ago
    3DS? so it does look like its going to use geometry for ground and maybe blocker and way points.. in which case a camera will be involved cool smile
    All been well that means Sketchup should work just fine as the low end option,
    Md5mesh etc.. not sure, I have something that might work, maybe blender

thanks mate

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #6, by afrlmeSunday, 07. July 2013, 17:20 11 years ago
    err I have no clue ...
    this is from an old old version that David found in one of build folders other week...

no idea about what is in latest version.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #7, by NigecSunday, 07. July 2013, 17:56 11 years ago
    well its good if it pans out that way! the big plus is its not X format which I loath

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #8, by BigStansSunday, 07. July 2013, 18:26 11 years ago
    Nope, there was no "Teaser".
    Collada was the recommend file format i think.
    We are not an 3D engine. Just characters (2.5D). I deleted the old things last week. DanielC and Alex was working at it. smile

Great Poster

361 Posts

• #9, by NigecSunday, 07. July 2013, 18:53 11 years ago
    ok we'll just have to wait and see, a little bit disappointed as the use of a floor plane give true z depth for the character movement and true 2.5D uses hidden geometry to help with lights and blocking etc

Key Killer

627 Posts

• #10, by PykeMonday, 08. July 2013, 13:07 11 years ago
    Im happy with just the 3D being applied to the characters. Things like updated textures, bones, etc, are where Im most excited for this!

59 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeMonday, 08. July 2013, 13:52 11 years ago
    Im happy with just the 3D being applied to the characters. Things like updated textures, bones, etc, are where Im most excited for this!

Oh speaking of bones...
    David is mulling over the idea for adding support for 2d skeleton animations via "Spriter" or "Spine" or something in a future release.

Spine/Spriter allow you to create bones for 2d characters which can be used for creating fluid animations (I wasn't keen on front/back animation of the programs mind but they seem to be fine for sideways stuff) It's just an idea for consideration at the minute mind!

Imperator

7278 Posts