Visionaire 5 RC0 released!

• #1, by SimonSThursday, 13. April 2017, 18:49 7 years ago
    Hello everyone,

the first release candidate of version 5 is now released. You find the setups here:

Full Version:

Free Version:

I'm gonna skip the fixes list, since I don't have hours to collect them, but the list is pretty long. On the features side, there is now shader compiler and a dark theme.
    The editor will also auto download platforms. I haven't yet compiled and checked all of them, for now only Windows and Mac are available. They will appear with time.

Since it's the first Mac version there are still some issues:
    • It looks like Windows (close on the right and such, same menu)
    • Drag&Drop is not working properly

More infos and scripts for new functions will be coming once I get the time (working non-stop on the engine).

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #2, by afrlmeThursday, 13. April 2017, 20:22 7 years ago
    Thanks Simon mate!

My advice... find some additional devs to help spread out the workload; even if it's only minor bug fixes they sort out. wink

P.S: about the changelog. Should just share the team build/changelog page. Update it as you go. I cleared a lot of my bookmarks recently & can't remember the link for it. twiki something or other.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #3, by SimonSThursday, 13. April 2017, 20:33 7 years ago
    You know I have 300 entries of subversion and 100 bugs in our bugtracker. I don't really want to collect and translate that. 
    Well the system is really complicated and even if we find someone capable of these things it takes a lot of time until they've learned the basics of the system. I've set up an automatic system for the builds, so I can at least focus more on developing and less on these tasks, but it's not nearly finished.

Thread Captain

1580 Posts

• #4, by sebastianThursday, 13. April 2017, 20:38 7 years ago
    and as always: make backups of your game before open anything ;P 

Thread Captain

2346 Posts

• #5, by ke4Thursday, 13. April 2017, 20:40 7 years ago
    Thanks! Nice work smile

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #6, by afrlmeThursday, 13. April 2017, 20:40 7 years ago
    You know I have 300 entries of subversion and 100 bugs in our bugtracker. I don't really want to collect and translate that. 
    Well the system is really complicated and even if we find someone capable of these things it takes a lot of time until they've learned the basics of the system. I've set up an automatic system for the builds, so I can at least focus more on developing and less on these tasks, but it's not nearly finished.
    No ones asking for the minor bug fixes to be added to the changelog, but at least the major new features or more serious bugs.

& yes, I know. It's a shame though mate. Too much for 1 dev to deal with. No sign of Alex or David?

P.S: gave it a shoutout on the VS twitter & Steam group. Actually started getting the hang of twitter now, but wish it let you type more characters or at least didn't include #things or urls as part of the characters. You know I like to type lengthy novels. grin

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #7, by ke4Thursday, 13. April 2017, 20:48 7 years ago
    What is shader compiler for btw. Can someone explain?

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #8, by afrlmeThursday, 13. April 2017, 20:53 7 years ago
    What is shader compiler for btw. Can someone explain?
    Looks like we can use it to add/create custom shaders. I think we will need to learn C/GLSL for to use this feature though. It's a nice addition for people that already know those languages - though maybe we can copy scripts we find on the internet into it? Simon?

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #9, by blanoThursday, 13. April 2017, 21:18 7 years ago
    thank you a lot visionaire studio team this is amazing!! smile)

68 Posts

• #10, by LebosteinThursday, 13. April 2017, 21:27 7 years ago
    Wow! Thanks! Start testing Mac version now....

Key Killer

621 Posts

• #11, by sebastianThursday, 13. April 2017, 21:49 7 years ago
    First impression from my first usage of a 5er version (for macOS): im impressed! great workflow. great style. many improvements.

Although i have found some bugs and have some considerations, wishes and further improvement ideas:

1. "pop up" windows such as for the conditions/values on the right panel or on the left when opening the scene / interface /etc properties: add an "x" button to that. Its not that clear how to close these. The pop ups on the left ONLY close when clicking on the "properties" text again, the pop ups on the right ONLY when clicking in empty/free space in the conditions/calues list.
    The reference finder pop up is also only closing when clicking beside it.

2. Because the new camera movement is much more smooth low res games don't profit as much as i hoped. When the scroll speed gets lower at the end of the scroll it kinds of shutter the last pixels... Any hope to have this smooth scrolling choosable/switchable?

3. No syntax highlighting in the Scripts section? need grin (macOS free Version)

4. Could you increase the zoom size in the Editor at least for characters/objects/cursors to 500%-600% ? For low res games 400% zoom is not enough for smaller characters/objects/cursors or scenes where pixel perfection is everything...

5. The "interfaces" icon looks more like a shopping bag. I would suggest to make different ones: (a window like these from operating systems for example). Also the objects "football" looks a bit weird. Here something like a potion or anything which looks more like an takeable objekt fould fit more than that circle with smaller circles in it wink.

6. When displaying object text it should be possible to define its font. Instead object text font has to be changed via Lua. Narration text for example has free chosable font inside its action part. Would love to see that for object texts, too wink

7. in macOS the "preferences" option in the normal menubar is greyed out. Instead the "3 lines menu" has it. Please readd it that preferences is also openable via the "normal way" smile

8. its weird that the scenes tab have the scene values/conditions on the right and the interfaces tab has them on the left besides the button list. 

9. Its weird that scene conditions/values are on the list on the right, but scene object conditions/values are still in the object properties. First thing i came in my mind to improve this is to append (but clearly separate) a second conditions/values list under the scene conditions/values as soon as clicking on a scene object.

EDIT: 10. Inside the Fonts tab when having a png font which based upon another png font, it doesnt show the image in the prevew

EDIT: 11. Double clicking the Dark/Light Theme switch opens the reference search pop up. (cant recreate anymore)

EDIT: 12. Shortcuts mentioned in the menu (ctrl+H) doesnt work in macOS. For example when changing it to cmd+H to fit in macOS it conflicts with default window shortcuts (cmd+H in macOS is hide window)

EDIT: 13. In the command list window (ctrl+h) the detailed action text is really crumped together and by that unreadable:

EDIT: 14. "STRG to Move" image at cursor to move object areas has to be "cmd to move" for mac or "ctrl to move" for english windows... but this mixed german and english is a bit weird ^__^

EDIT: 15. Active selection colors for object / button / waysystem borders dont get applied. instead they are all grey now...

EDIT: 16. When choosing a color in the options menu for the editor selection lines, the dialog can be closed with the color picker still open, making it impossible to close the colorpicker until you open options again.

EDIT: 17. changing the increase/decrease zoom number and then clicking to change another value resets the field to 0, making it not possible to zoom anymore until restarting the program and resetting the value then.

EDIT: 18. sometimes when zooming szenes or interfaces it looks blury instead of sharp... Dont know whats causing this. After some program restarts it seems to work again.

EDIT: 19: The save & run and save & run current scene auto open when hovering the mouse over these icons. While this is ok, the menus also open when moving the cursor in the mac menu bar on the same x-coordinate than the icons to open it. So i can move my mouse only on the menu bar of macOS and still open these menus even if im out of the editor window...

That were mainly the thins which went through my mind^^

one bug i found which also impacts the game:

images which have a bit of alpha transparency don't show up correctly in VS editor or VS player. their transparence gets some kind of multiplied instead of added (are these terms correct?).
    For example: I have an interface which has a slider. The interface itself has one color background. Because for reasons the slider should get disabled and by that gets slightly transparent. So i have an overlay object + image of the same color which has 60% opacity (in the png image itself, no object visibility). The object polygon of the overlay object also blocks interacting with the below laying slider object.

In 4.25 it looks like the whole slider got transparent because of the overlay. Now in 5.0 it looks like a big darker box is surrounding the slider:

keep up the good work. #hype

~Sebastian

Thread Captain

2346 Posts