Visionaire 5 Public Beta Test now live!

• #90, by marvelTuesday, 07. February 2017, 11:25 7 years ago
    tested also yesterday with wineskin (and opengl flag)  and also had the icons in the top bar crumped together with 1920x1080 resolution. Does this also counts as low resolution?  grin 
    Thats probably not a problem with the resolution, but a problem of wineskin. I'm using FULL HD resolution as well and the icons only get crumped when I minimize the editor. So please post a screenshot and show us how it looks like. Then we probably can fix it.

Regarding the Grey colors: i like them. they are good readabke on my monitor and Im not sure if these are more hard to read for some people or if their monitor is maybe not calibrated right. Or do we deal here with sime kind of color blind/weak nesses?
    Yes, actually grey colors on white backgrounds are better readable than black ones - that's what we've learned back in graphic design school. I do also believe that Machtnix has a weak (maybe old) screen or it is a problem with the device driver. 

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #91, by afrlmeTuesday, 07. February 2017, 11:36 7 years ago
    @ Thomas: but why? that photo was pretty intense looking - or rather, it would have been if you didn't have the headset on. grin

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #92, by ke4Tuesday, 07. February 2017, 11:46 7 years ago
    My thoughts so far

1. When i run the game for the first time i immediately noticed that the scene scrolling / parallax scrolling is much smoother. Nice one.

2. There are no copy / paste / duplicate buttons which i used a lot.

3. In the script section, tab is not giving me an indentation but it hides the script list panel.

4. The highlight of selected action part is barely visible.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #93, by marvelTuesday, 07. February 2017, 12:07 7 years ago
    My thoughts so far

1. When i run the game for the first time i immediately noticed that the scene scrolling / parallax scrolling is much smoother. Nice one.

2. There are no copy / paste / duplicate buttons which i used a lot.

3. In the script section, tab is not giving me an indentation but it hides the script list panel.

4. The highlight of selected action part is barely visible.

1. Jepp smile

2. Yes, our attempt was to reduce the layout. There have been dozents of icons all over the editor and basically you can do the same with the keyboard if you want to. So use Control C/V for it. Don't know what duplicates at the moment. Edit: F4 is for duplication but will probably be changed (to control D maybe)

3/4. ok

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #94, by marvelTuesday, 07. February 2017, 19:43 7 years ago
    Today I've had an idea how the top bar could be improved to save additional space - by changing the 4 menus to a single, big one. Please check the attachement and tell me what you think about it! smile

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #95, by afrlmeTuesday, 07. February 2017, 20:11 7 years ago
    @ Thomas: the mobile menu icon makes sense to me as does the neat dropdown.

Don't forgot you also have a horizontal bar across the bottom of the editor that could be used for something (displaying data, some text/number input boxes, toolbar things) depending on what section is currently displayed & what is currently active in the editor as it's currently doing bugger all.

Anyway, yes. I like the menu design in the attachments you posted. smile

P.S: there's some other things I'd like to see change design wise if possible.

1. item section. I like the split form in same tab for adding both image & animation. I really think you should scrap image & allow the creation of an active & inactive item image. If people want a static image then they can just create a single frame animation. It makes a lot more sense to me rather than the static image as it would allow (with some changes to engine code) to have it auto show active animation on mouse over / held & inactive on mouse leave.

2. mouse cursor section. I think this should have the split form layout like the item section rather than the tabs. It would be much neater & better from a workflow perspective. Not much need for the tabs & it must be possible because you've done it for the item section.

3. I would really like to see some form of parameter inputs for setting the default rotation value of scene objects, their position, offset, transparency, etc & also position parameters for selected animations. I think best place for this would be unused status bar at the bottom or as a form on the right hand side where the conditions/values tabs are.

Probably a few other things, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Other than that it's all looking really nice, though the action area tabs on main scene tabs are kind of confusing. They need hiding with conditions or something when they aren't needed to be shown.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #96, by marvelTuesday, 07. February 2017, 20:45 7 years ago
    Hi Lee,
    thanks for the suggestions, i will write them down, but please keep the focus on the top bar for the moment. smile I think we could erase some more links in the menu.

What about erasing the following:
    - Visionaire Forum
    - Visionaire Website
    - Info (all the info can be found at the landing page)
    - Play Game (as there is now an icon for this purpose)
    - Beenden / Quit 
    - New (as there are all options on the landing page)

Opinions? smile

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #97, by ke4Tuesday, 07. February 2017, 20:46 7 years ago
    Looks nice Thomas. A bit more cleaner layout again.
    Btw if there's a dark theme in this dark grey/blue it's gonna be really awesome smile

I agree with deleting links to the website and forum as everybody knows about them anyway.

For running game i'm using only F9 shortcut anyway. ( You could add shortcut for the cuurrent scene too )

2. Yes, our attempt was to reduce the layout. There have been dozents of icons all over the editor and basically you can do the same with the keyboard if you want to. So use Control C/V for it. Don't know what duplicates at the moment. Edit: F4 is for duplication but will probably be changed (to control D maybe)

Ah okay, good to know, Thanks.

Key Killer

810 Posts

• #98, by marvelTuesday, 07. February 2017, 23:55 7 years ago
    Hi Ke4,
    a dark layout/skin will come as soon as the editor is "finished" and has no more basic changes smile I already worked on a dark theme a while ago but it became a bit "outdated". 

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #99, by afrlmeWednesday, 08. February 2017, 00:05 7 years ago
    Hi Ke4,
    a dark layout/skin will come as soon as the editor is "finished" and has no more basic changes smile I already worked on a dark theme a while ago but it became a bit "outdated". 
    Simple enough, just use the current theme you have used for menu bar & the dropdown thing in the menu. If you want some more inspiration then I recommend checking out Monokai theme for sublime text. A decent dark theme is mostly comprised of different shades of grey - doesn't have to be super dark, just no white backgrounds. Text can be white, but it's better if it's a light grey or white with transparency set to say 75%.

P.S: check out the wiki. If you click on the light bulb icon on the header menu it will toggle between the light & dark theme. I kept the backgrounds the same but used really light grey for light theme for main content block backgrounds & basically inversed main text color for regular text from dark theme. Kind of like opposites.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #100, by marvelWednesday, 08. February 2017, 00:12 7 years ago
    @Lee:

Regarding your first point "item selection". I would do the same and already added it to our list a while ago but maybe its complicated because of compatibility. I guess the image data field would need to be converted, etc. Changing it could lead to several issues... 

To your 3rd post: Yes, parameter imput fields would be really nice, but this is something Simon has to check. I don't know nothing at all about the chances adding "rotation" or "transparency" there. But I could prepare a visual concept, yes smile

Key Killer

598 Posts