Bought in 2013, Key & License recovery not working now

• #1, by NeedsFoodBadlySaturday, 28. November 2015, 17:03 9 years ago
    I bought Visionaire in 2013 and I tried to download the latest version just now, it asked for my key, I entered my name/key from my initial license email and it said it wasn't valid. I tried to use the license recovery on the website and it said there wasn't any license for my email. What's going on?

2 Posts

• #2, by marvelSaturday, 28. November 2015, 18:13 9 years ago
    When you bought your license in 2013, you obviously only have a license for Visionaire 3. So you can go and download the latest Version of Visionaire Studio 3.

Key Killer

598 Posts

• #3, by NeedsFoodBadlySaturday, 28. November 2015, 18:23 9 years ago
    Actually, woops it was 2012, not 2013. At any rate, when I bought Visionaire, the only thing that was obvious to me was that I was buying Visionaire, not a specific version of Visionaire but I see I was mistaken or I may have just forgotten. It has been a while. At any rate, thanks for clarifying!

2 Posts

• #4, by Simon_ASASaturday, 28. November 2015, 18:47 9 years ago
    It's like most softwares. If you buy 3dsmax 2012 it won't give you access to 3dsmax 2015. I hate this, but all programmers do it and it's understandable if they want to live.
    So if you have VS 3 you have to buy VS 4. Fortunately it's not expensive and contains very useful improvements.

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #5, by afrlmeSaturday, 28. November 2015, 20:17 9 years ago
    When you buy a particular version you are buying a license that covers all updates for that version. i.e: 3.x would be from version 3.0 to whatever the final version ends up being (3.7.1, in this case) before 4.0 comes out.

The most recent licenses are for 4.x. We are currently at version 4.2 build 1182. There should be a new version coming out over the next week or two - hopefully.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #6, by tristan-kangSaturday, 28. November 2015, 20:48 9 years ago
    I think it would be wise marketing when you bought PROFESSIONAL license, you don't need to upgrade the engine anymore but the engine automatically upgraded to further versions(5, 6, 7...).

Because I'm curious how many people bought professional license for VS. It's some hefty price. lol

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #7, by Simon_ASASaturday, 28. November 2015, 22:47 9 years ago
    It's the price of After Effects for example, and it seems that Visionaire is able to do nice things to create games, just like After Effects does nice things for compositing.
    So it's probably normal to set a high price, as long as the soft is powerful enough. It would seem that we're all using VS for some good reasons = because it's a good soft, and the other similar softwares are either outdated or too complicated!

I totally agree that the new licences are weird and don't totally make sense for a project managed by a small team who (sometimes) look amateur (sorry guys, it's a feeling), BUT the price is not crazy. On top of that, the pro license is for games that are supposed to sell a lot, and it is normal to reward the developers of VS for making such a game possible.

Great Poster

321 Posts

• #8, by tristan-kangSaturday, 28. November 2015, 23:12 9 years ago
    Of course, the price is decent. But what I want to see is more merits for pro license.

Anyway, I didn't know After Effects is that expensive. I'm using creative cloud and all things(including AE) can be used together.

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #9, by afrlmeSunday, 29. November 2015, 00:25 9 years ago
    Of course, the price is decent. But what I want to see is more merits for pro license.

Anyway, I didn't know After Effects is that expensive. I'm using creative cloud and all things(including AE) can be used together.

All Adobe products are expensive, especially if you pay for each product individually. Monthly subscription could also be costly too depending on how long you decide to keep using the products. I think the nice thing about the subscription method is that you get the opportunity to use whichever Adobe products you like whenever you like as well as always getting the latest updates. However for me, it doesn't make sense to do that as I only ever occasionally use photoshop & that's about it.

The Professional license is expensive sure. But it's highly unlikely that any of us will ever need to purchase one. It's more for commercial game developers & small teams that have acquired a publisher. If you've acquired a publisher then it's probably more than likely that they would comp for the license anyway, so you wouldn't actually have to buy it yourself. As for what you get with it... well...

You can release your game as a physical product in retail stores &/or online / mobile platforms as a digital product. Actually, you can release it however you like as the license basically grants you carte blanche. You can also choose whether or not you want to give a nod to the VS team by including the logo or mentioning them in your credits or whatever. There's also no limitation in the amount of money (budget) you get via crowdfunding or a publisher - well, there's no higher licenses, anyway! grin It is also possible to request team builds of VS when available instead of waiting for the public builds to come out. You might also be able to ask the devs for help with certain things or to sort out the mobile builds for you. & finally, the indie multi-license is included.

Imperator

7278 Posts

• #10, by tristan-kangSunday, 29. November 2015, 01:26 9 years ago
    It's more for commercial game developers & small teams that have acquired a publisher. If you've acquired a publisher then it's probably more than likely that they would comp for the license anyway, so you wouldn't actually have to buy it yourself. As for what you get with it... well...

I wonder Deponia's devs bought pro license. smile

It is also possible to request team builds of VS when available instead of waiting for the public builds to come out.

WoW. I never knew that. Now that IS the merit!

Great Poster

267 Posts

• #11, by afrlmeSunday, 29. November 2015, 04:08 9 years ago
    I wonder Deponia's devs bought pro license. smile

Yeah, well the equivalent of the pro license back during 3.x. I assume they've probably bought a license for Anna's Quest & whatever else they've made with 4.x.

WoW. I never knew that. Now that IS the merit!

Not guaranteed but doesn't hurt to ask. I know Chris (Stasis) got team / special builds with various bug fixes / features for him to update Stasis & fix some bugs. I usually get team builds but haven't had one since the current public build.

Imperator

7278 Posts